Cibola help...

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by AZDUCKMAN, Mar 15, 2015.

1. AZDUCKMAN

AZDUCKMAN Refuge Member

Ok Guys and Gals, I got some great news from my friends out of California who do most of their hunting out at Cibola during the season. They've been hunting Cibola for 20 plus years and every year they raise money to help the Cibola NWR with purchase of seed and planting it. This will be my second year doing this with my friends and last season we only planted 3 fields cause that's what we were aloud to do under old management. Some of you may not know is that Cibola NWR don't get enough funds to plant the refuge some due to poor leadership, well that's all changed this will mark the first season under new management we got the go ahead to to plant the whole Island Unit which has never been done in a long time. Now that we got the go ahead we need to raise the funds to do so. Funds will go to seed 2000lbs and to pay the farmer to plant it for us, this will cover 200 acres of flooded fields seed will be planted in stages 3 weeks apart to sustain feeding and let me tell you when you have the crops to support 10,000 plus through out the season a Duck mans life is good...

So I'm writing this to ask your help and join me in the Quest to bring back Cibola NWR to its glory days of large numbers and sustainable habit that the birds look for. We are looking for Donations anything will help whatever you can spare is greatly appreciated... Let me know I have Paypal or if you would like to write a check I have my buddies info for you if needed who handling the operation...
    Fred Pedly
    (949) 472-2264

Thanks again
    John "The Union"

2. CORONA 1

CORONA 1 Senior Refuge Member

I would love to help but I don't think I will ever hunt Cibola again. since they change the process to a mail in reservation system you got a hole different type of hunter.

3. AZDUCKMAN

AZDUCKMAN Refuge Member

Corona, I think you are Mixing up the units, that's something you would do at Farm Unit 2 or the Goose fields maybe. This referring to The Island Unit which is a Unit all its own with no draw system open to the public...

4. timbutcher

timbutcher Senior Refuge Member

This is great news.
    My questions is what are the crops you want to plant?

I think a milo crop or corn crop would absolutely be awesome on the island.
    If you flood that it would feed the ducks really well.
    Not enough food outside the non hunt zones

5. AZDUCKMAN

AZDUCKMAN Refuge Member

Tim, the crop we are planting will be Jap Millet, Chiwapa Millet and maybe some Oats. the reason for not planting Corn is due to baiting laws, it would be considered baiting if any corn were knocked down and that would shut the Island Unit down for at least 10 days.. As for Close Zone food there is a lot of it enough to keep birds around all season, most of it is corn to... Low numbers this pass season is cause we didn't get to plant as much only 2 fields, and the close zone the biologist would cut corn any time there was a big push birds keeping birds off the Island Unit... We are still looking for help with donations to help plant...

Thanks
    John

6. timbutcher

timbutcher Senior Refuge Member

That's sounds great.
    It's time to get ahold of DU In Blythe and Phoenix as well,

They should have some money

Funny how the can knock corn down and its not illegal.
    They should only feed after the season is over.

Let me think about this more I might be interested in giving a small amount

Which farmer is going to plant this?

7. AZDUCKMAN

AZDUCKMAN Refuge Member

Dont know who will be planting yet, i think late july things will start to happen...