Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Cinn Teal feet

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by reba, May 1, 2016.

1. reba

reba New Member

I'm working on a Cinn. teal. Looking at the feet, an am not sure how to create this color. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

'Do you have an airbrush? Color can vary a little depending on the sex of the bird and/or time of year harvested, but in "general" a light coat of flesh to obtain a base color, medium coat of payne's gray on the webs, "knuckles", heel and back of leg, then yellow ochre for the main color on the legs. A light dose of burnt umber or "tie-in" brown over the webs will add to the plain paynes' gray color. If a competition mount, then a lot more would be involved.

3. reba

reba New Member

Thanks Brad, what else would you do for comp.?

4. Brad's Birds

couple additional layers of paint...light yellow/off-white to orange.....wash of stain to bring out scales in certain areas....more involved preparation of the legs themselves (injection/freezing, etc....)

5. reba

reba New Member

Thanks Brad, Did the feet today, an they look pretty good, I'm going to try to find some light yellow/pearl, to add a light coat over the yellow ochre. I did inject the feet before painting, but you mentioned something about freezing. I never heard of doing this step. What does it do? Thanks again.

6. Brad's Birds

Depending on what is used for injecting the feet, freezing can help reduce shrinkage in conjunction with multiple injections.