Cinnamon teal

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by STL11, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

Mid January. We saw a few flocks and got volleys into two of them. I dropped one drake out of each flock. One was a stud and one wasn't quite as nice. The stud is on the wall.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

They were as thick as thieves in SoCal around Camp Pendleton. It seemed like every body of water had some on them. Not sure about guided or public land in that areas. Maybe @API would know??

3. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

To hunt Camp Pendleton one must have a DOD ID, appropriate CA state/federal licences/stamps, and a Camp Pendleton hunting licence. For deer, a state G10 zone tag is required. There are several duck blinds on the base which are available on designated hunt days based upon a lottery.

Fresh and salt water fishing is also available. State license/permits/validations are required as is a base fishing license. If one does not have a DOD ID, they must be sponsored by someone who has such an ID.

As noted by @buck_master_2001, there are cinnamon teal in SoCal. In fact my son shot one this morning while we were hunting on one of the two SoCal area state waterfowl refuges.

goosenazi likes this.
  4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I hunt in central California... A couple areas/ponds I frequent, can hold good numbers of red teal at times. Two weeks ago, I was covered up in them, and could easily have shot a limit of 7 drakes had I so desired. Next shoot day (3 days later) same pond, and I never saw one...

In general the shooting has been spotty in California this season and last. Birds bounce around, and while one day might be a great shoot, the next is a bust (or vice versa).

Were I going to spend the money to travel that far, and wanted a high chance of success, I would go to Mexico... More likely to have success, and more likely to get to shoot a bunch of birds.

If you come to California, I would come in mid January... There are a lot around early in the season, but they are not in good plumage. By mid January, we are starting to get arrivals headed back north... By late January, the the shooting pressure increases (more hunters out the last two weeks than the rest of the season), and birds smarten up some....

5. phutch30

phutch30 New Member

I found a great fellow hunter willing to take me in the grasslands in Jan

Attached Files:

6. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

What Squaller said ^^^

I shot this one today...I think he's the second one I've shot all season. I've passed on many opportunities this season, but this guy had the sun on him just right and was floating at about 15 yards...too pretty to pass up. I landed two other pairs after that and they were allowed to loaf around in the decoys and leave unscathed. Like Squaller said...it's hit and miss. Although we do get our share, I don't think I'd plan a trip out here just for one bird.

cinnie.JPG

Squaller and Ducker 4 Ever like this.
  7. Luv2Decoy

Luv2Decoy Senior Refuge Member

Follow the advice posted above about Mexico. We went a few years ago and simply the best couples duck hunt that you can dream of. Plenty of cinnamon teal and bluewing, and pintails. The one duck that we didn't get that was wall quality was a Shoveller, couldn't seem to find one that fully plumed even in late Feb.

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Many taxidermists in this part of the country tell me they often get the best bluewing and shovelers brought in during our turkey season. Evidently the guys with the best birds just wait until April to bring in the awesome birds they shot in January.

7summits, Allan, callinfowl and 4 others like this.
  9. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Or they waited until the prime ones came back from South America and wacked them in March...

Hopefully not.

10. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Hopefully not, I agree, but I think that’s what Bill was insinuating and it probably happens more than we hope.

Duck Warrior likes this.