Circular stand full body replacements?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by nick b, Nov 23, 2017.

1. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

I recently acquired a dozen full body Higdon mallards in a trade, but their replacement circular stands are $60 per dozen! Does anybody have any suggestions on places to find cheaper or used stands?

I can cut stakes out of 1/8 inch steel rods pretty easily, but wouldn't be able to use them on ice (not too big a deal - have goose shells also)

2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

There was a fellow selling circular stands in the classifieds not too long ago. Might do a search. Seems that they were pretty dang cheap.

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Maybe try getting a local shop to make some for you. Would probably be much cheaper than the cost of the stand plus shipping costs.

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Nick, I'd make those stands and put a short crossbar on them to keep them from going through the ice. Then, take a battery-powered drill with you on your hunts (with the correct size drill bit chucked up) and drill holes in the ice for the stake. That's how I do it after freeze-up. This way the decoys don't blow downwind, the bases are lighter and pack more handily, and they look a lot better than the circular bases on the ice, too.

5. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Yep, Avery/GHG bases. I bought a bunch from him. I think they were $1/base unless you bought alot. He is in South Dakota.

6. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Good looking out! I've got a PM sent over his way.

That's a good idea, I don't know how to weld though. I imagine the stake would work alright even without a cross bar depending on ice thickness. If the guy with the circular stands for a buck still has them, I'll probably order those and see how they work.

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

011.jpg

Tuleman and Mean Gene like this.
  8. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Never measured that, just bent a 2' rod where need be for the decoy's bungee to hook on and used that first for a pattern. Also made some up of longer rod for use in water. Bend is a big help both for driving into clay soil and retrieving from such at hunt's end.

10. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

OK. So 2 ft rod is probably 10" on either side of the bend. Excellent concept. :tu