Circular stand full body replacements?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by nick b, Nov 23, 2017.

1. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Rick, how did you get those bends in the metal? I don't have any experience working with metals, really. I'm sure heat is involved but do you use some sort of bending tool?

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Just put one end in a vice where I wanted the bend to start and pulled the other. Simple stuff even this hillbilly can manage.

nick b likes this.
  3. nick b

What metal did you use? I see my local Home Depot has metal rods available in 3/16 and 1/4 inch steel. May just run up there and see how much bend they have in them.

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Almost certain it's 1/4", but wouldn't bet the farm on it...

5. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

DIY Stakes , Free if you don't mind scrounging around looking for some metal to use , if not it's still cheap stock to buy compared to getting ripped off by the decoy companies outrageous replacement costs .... Make them any size you want ..... I use my ring bases when I wash my decoys ... But in rare cases if the dirt is to hard for stakes , its about the only time Ill run my ring bases ..

6. nick b

Yeah, I am thinking stakes are going to be much easier after trying out both circular and stakes this weekend. I'll probably just grab the round metal rod stock and go with that.

7. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Refuge Member

Yes you can bend your own, however unless you get the steel stock very cheap, you are money ahead buying them if you can get a decent price on them. Prariewind decoys sells GHG bases which can be easily converted for use on any decoy if you change the head and use a 1/2" plumbing washer and a small strip of duct tape to not allow it to move down the rod.

8. NW BIRDHUNTER

Ended up buying 50 of the GHG bases from the guy in South Dakota for use with my field shells on the ice or on the rocks on the river. Only $1.00 ea. Guy was easy to do business with and pretty quick. Thanks for the heads up, GUNNERX2!

9. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Can you share his info, I am in the market for some bases

10. NW BIRDHUNTER

Why certainly, they are located in the classifieds page 10, "Avery ring bases for sale" "Aaron Moderator".