Civil asset forfeiture is just theft by the government

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by The Other David, Sep 13, 2017.

1. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

For a more comprehensive view, one could certainly start here:

http://www.popcenter.org/responses/asset_forfeiture/7

It is one section of an overall synopsis on the subject.

2. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Confused, as I'm agreeing with you. But maybe I am misunderstanding your original post.

As to the guy's truck - see my earlier comments.

Anywho - one of the "tools" in the anti-poaching "toolbox" is seizure of guns, etc. Does that go away?

Is all civil forfeiture "wrong"?

Is civil forfeiture a misnomer given that the property can be returned?

How does civil forfeiture differ from a bail bond i.e. we hold your stuff until you appear?

3. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

4. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

If I need to explain those issues to you, we may not have any basis for discussion.

5. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

One is set by a judge and the other by the arresting officer?

6. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

When most of your reply consists of "Yeah buts" it's hard to determine exactly to what you agree.

Anything that takes an asset prior to charges is WRONG. If you release the guy without charges or don't even arrest them, tough luck. If it's that important expedite the charges. If the asset must be returned then compensation on top of the asset ought to be in order.

The constitution should not be forfeit for convenience or expedience.

The Other David likes this.
  7. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

If a game warden thinks you are up to something illegal without any reasonable cause and takes your gun, your truck, your decoys, etc. you are okay with that? And really, taking someone's property before they are convicted? Yes, that's wrong.

Yes, all asset taking is wrong if it is based on an accusation. Really, the government should not take property until there has been a conviction and proof that said assets were used in the crime.

What other parts of the Constitution are you okay with the govt violating?

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

While I agree with you, this is a slippery slope. If they wait until a conviction (which might not be for a while), the person who was arrested has plenty of time to get rid of all the stuff, and hide the profits. That doesn't make me "OK" with the gov't violating any Constitutional rights. That makes me understand they have a tough job dealing with criminals who will do criminal things to get ahead in life.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  9. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Like it or not, many states allow for the seizing of the property upon issuance of the citation. Some times it is called securing evidence of a crime. There is a fine line to walk on this, and maybe Congress is correct in stepping in and maybe not. Local guy had 4 restaurant locations going. He was arrested for laundering money for MS13. Worker there knew that the amount of business did not warrant the amount of cash flowing through them. Not convicted yet, but all of the assets have been seized!

10. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

So when you get arrested for defrauding taxpayers by using your wife's name to get set-aside contracts and the govt seizes your assets and you can no longer work, you are okay with that. Got it.