Clay shooting - how much

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by mikehmike, Sep 5, 2017.

1. mikehmike

mikehmike Refuge Member

New to duck hunting and have been shooting clays every weekend to better prepare for this year. How many clays does everyone shoot in a day?

Went this saturday and was thinking about it while me/brother were shooting clays. How much is to much through a shotgun etc.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Practice the way you play. I assume you mean sporting clays. Shoot from the low ready. Shoot the same gun you hunt with. Tighten up the chokes, since steel patterns tighter than lead.

Example on my first thought. I shoot from a chair where I hunt, a lot. We play this game at our club, on the trap field. 5-Across. At the chosen range (16-27) each shooter takes one shot per station, rotate, repeat. So, you fire 5 shots. After you are done, anyone tied for 1st now gets to choose ANY shot, as long as it is safe. By ANY, I mean, standing on one foot, shooting opposite shoulder, standing way to the side of the normal spots (if safe), even exchanging guns (You shoot mine, I shoot yours).
    We have a pile of big rocks around the flag pole. Nice sitting height, and off to the side, so it is about a 27 yard starting range, AND, the right hand bird can be almost a pure crosser. If it is my turn to choose the shot, I go sit on the rock, and hit 90% of those birds. Other guys miss 90% of them. Makes an almost certain winner for me, and good practice for the season.

How many? Doesn't matter much after the first 25. I like 50 birds a week on our 5-Stand. I don't shoot much during the summer, but make sure to go out 2-4 times before the season. But, between 2 leagues, 5 Fun Shoots, and 2 large (200 man) shoots, I am pulling the trigger about about 1200-1500 times a year.

3. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

I normally shoot about 1000-1300 registered clays and about 6-700 play days- Sporting Clays.

4. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I am shooting duck tower& 5 stand at a gun club an hour away.
    Usually I start mid August, shooting a few rounds each week, when I go into town on errands.
    Just 2 years ago, I bought a nice 'battery activated' thrower.
    Now, I can throw clays for myself here, too.
    I'm "bearing down" with more shooting now that we're only a few weeks from our duck opener.

Ringbill

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You shoot up to 1300 clay targets in a day??

6. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

I normally shoot anywhere between 250 - 350 per day if I'm practicing. For NSCA registered targets last year, I shot a little over 11,000 in 2017.

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Das a lotta bang-bang'n. :tu

Ringbill likes this.
  8. pintail_drake2004

pintail_drake2004 New Member

I don't go to a range, my fiance bought me an automatic trap thrower and it is a Whole lot better than my old one. The Clay's move quick like a duck and I can make all sorts of adjustments. Back in high school my brother and I would shoot 1000+ clays per week. Im fortunate enough to have a place to shoot. My fiance and I shoot 3-4 days a week and break anywhere between 500-1000 Clay's in a month. I let her do most of the shooting, she is trying to prepare for duck season.

9. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

I've got a buddy that shot 18,000 registered targets last year. No telling how many he shoots outside of tournaments.

10. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Our local club has got a amazing selection of sporting courses, got back into it this year. Still have yet to hit the 5 stand. The super sporting course where they are throwing triples has made for some great preseason tune up with my hunting gun. I am around 2500 targets in sporting and maybe another 750 trap targets.

With Hunting access getting harder and pricey, if I could figure out away to include the dog, I would shoot be a lot more targets.