Clay shooting - how much

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by mikehmike, Sep 5, 2017.

1. mikehmike

mikehmike Refuge Member

Well I went through about 100 clays last saturday I thought that was to much for the shotgun, guess I was wrong. That was my real concern, putting too many shells through it. Thanks for the replies

2. deand1

deand1 Refuge Member

I have my own trap, portable type. I go to the range early almost every morning and shoot 25 to 50 shots. Between a series of shots I go out and cut and pile standing weeds. This method gives me a normal break from shooting similar to a lull in hunting over decoys, and gets rid of weeds on the range.

3. BD7000

BD7000 Senior Refuge Member

I would say a 100 targets a week is great. I shoot at least 2000 registered skeet targets a year and double that for practice. Shoot some skeet for the basic leads and a easy sporting clays course for different angles. Competitive sporting clays sometimes get alittle to much. You want to keep your confidence up and be sure to keep wood on wood

4. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I'll end up with about 4000 registered NSCA targets this year after Nationals, plus maybe 500 NSSA targets and then probably 10-12k practice targets. It's nothing to go shoot a case a night 3 times a week for practice although I've slacked off recently.

I wouldn't recommend that type volume on your average duck gun, but shooting a few hundred targets every now and then isn't going to hurt it.

Ringbill likes this.
  5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

No in a year

6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

My duck guns, pumps , auto's, and O/U's have tens of thousands of rounds shot through them.
    Go shoot the darn thing, guns are made to be shot, not fondled.:yes:yes:yes:tu

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Tuleman, Ringbill and deand1 like this.
  7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

No such thing as "to (sic) much".

I shoot 5-stand or Sporting three to four times a month during the off season. That's 150 to 300 targets/month.

8. dog duck gun

dog duck gun Elite Refuge Member

shoot 100-175 every week. Have slacked off used to shoot 250-300 week. have developed a bad flinch problem and shooting less has helped

9. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a six week trap league at the local club that gets me ready each season. I have been hunting since I was a kid and shot competitive sporting clays for several years so the six week trap league is about perfect leading up to the season opener.

If you are just beginning to shoot you need to go a bunch. Make sure that you are mounting your shotgun correctly and that the shotgun fits. Nothing wrong with taking a lesson from someone that knows what they are doing to make sure that you learn proper form from the beginning. It is amazing how many guys that have hunted their entire lives and cannot hit the broad side of a barn.

callinfowl likes this.
  10. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn Refuge Member

Practice makes perfect. If you are practicing the wrong methods you will become proficient at doing it wrong. Also, since you are new at it, don't think you have to pound through hundreds of rounds a day to get better. If you start to fatigue or you start developing a flinch that is not helping you at all. Keep it fun, don't make it a second job. I have run into a few registered shooters that talk more in the "I have to" instead of "I want to" when it come to shooting events.