Clay shooting - how much

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by mikehmike, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

Taking a lesson from a good instructor is well worth the money. I see some really bad gun mounts even up to Master class shooters. Learn how and when to apply different methods and practice with a purpose. Don't just go out and shoot 100 targets with your buddies.

2. P Frey

P Frey Senior Refuge Member

I did not shoot all summer. We had a charity shoot this weekend at my club. (Alzheimer's shoot). We shot 50 sporting clay and 50 5 stand. Needless to say I did not shoot that well but it was for a good cause.

3. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

This is sooooooo true! Gander what class are you? I'm still in 'E.' "We" don't practice, all my buddies want to do is shoot the whole course. I've talked to Ashleigh Hafley and she told me that's wrong- you gotta shoot the station(s) that are giving you a hard time- the easy stations speak for themselves, BUT you have to hit ALL the easy targets. At 62 though I need to just shoot for the sport & fun. If I was 20 or so............

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  4. Gander

I'm in Master class with 80 punches so far this year and an average of 90%. I'm also a PSCA pro.

You have a go into practice with a purpose. You have to focus on the presentations that give you problems. Assuming you want to improve. If your goal is just to shoot the course and have fun, that's fine. That just not how you improve.

5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

Agreed, good luck & shooting! :tu

6. Gander

Thanks. I'm at the Southeast Regional this weekend.

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Getting real coaching (even just a few hours) for a begging will pay off BIG. Once you actually know how to mount, etc. you should practice it at home daily. The coach can give you some drills to do. You'll benefit greatly from that "dry" practice. Then, shoot as much as your schedule and wallet allow. Short of shooting to the extreme of a competition shooter, you won't wear a quality field gun out. I have several with over 25,000 rounds and a couple double that.

I don't shoot a lot anymore as most of my range time is spent coaching scholastic shooters. Funny thing is I watch so many more targets now they seem slow when I do shoot.

callinfowl likes this.
  8. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

Some great tips have been written. Yes, practice with purpose. Yes, get some quality instruction. Yes, pull the trigger. Yes, know the difference between working on the game and just shooting a round with friends. Both are good and fine, just understand the difference.

There are folks here that shoot registered targets ( I do as well) and just want to shoot some targets getting ready for ducks. Its all good. Just really know where you yourself are at. If one hasn't shot much, then come September its hit the range time for ducks don't go out first day and shoot a flat. Don't look for that super edgy 50 yard crosser. I'd rather see a shooter go out few times a week and shoot a flat vs the same day. Build up some shooting stamina.

Start on some nice cup cake type stations. Focus on your mechanics. Seeing the target well. Then move to some ducky type targets. Work those. If it isn't happening, leave it. Come back to it later. Throwing a box of shells at it isn't going to help. Work a progression into it. End the day on those stations where you're really comfortable, successful. Again, working proper mechanics.

Registered shooters know and have a game plan as how to practice and they've been shooting all year. Recreational shooter, different story. As a recreational shooter, one needs to progress into their targets and stamina kicking the rust off ensuring proper mount, insertion, move is at hand. Be careful who you shoot with. You may have a good plan for your day but the shooter you are with may have something different. If you're going to practice, then practice. If its just shoot a round with someone that just wants to talk, do a long shot contest and try to tell you where you're at on every shot....well, gonna be a tough day.

9. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

How'd you do and how did you like the targets? I was there Thursday-Sunday as well. Very cool venue

10. Gander

I liked almost all the targets except for the Rocky course. Bad sun issues. Also stations 6 and 13 were just a bit over the top. I didn't shoot well in the main 82/82. Pee Dee was a great course. The big 70mm was awesome off the tower.

Enjoyed the sub gauge course. More difficult than what we normally see. I shot a 45 on 20 ga, 44 on 28 ga, 48 on 12 ga and a 48 with my side by side. I had the high score in the 20 ga, 12 ga and side by side.

Shot a 91 in the prelim. Finished 15th. Just had a few bad stations.

Shot a 91 in the super sporting and finished 10th. I shot it with Wendell and it was just the two of us. So figuring out how to shoot true pairs was difficult.

The club did a great job with running the event flawlessly. It was little windy almost all weekend which made some presentations tough. I ended up with 13 punches and $431 in payouts, so I can't complain. How about you?