Cleaning up a timber hole

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Bercy3939, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Bercy3939

Bercy3939 New Member

Thanks for the input. This hole is in the Mississippi South Delta. Panoramic picture below shows a general layout of about 75% of the hole. About 40 yards behind the trees to the far right of the picture is an open field that ducks currently use and are hunted. From behind the picture all the way around to the left and to the bottom are woods that hold water - very thick edge as you can see. Any further thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Hard to tell from picture how much food is in that vegetation. If there is no food, then you are just a roost or loafing pond. I would turn that ground, plant some millet, smart weed and corn in strips so the ducks have some groceries for most of the season. Hunting declines over time as food disappears.

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I bet the previous owners simply planted corn very,very late...like in the fall. And then the rain came thru the pipe and flooded it.
    " This is my theory and my theory is correct".:joker

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

That ground was planted with something at one time just by looking at the field layout. A lot of old timers were crafty hidden plots of corn in the woods worked very well for them, just sayin.

5. Bercy3939

Bercy3939 New Member

Funny you say that, because your theory is absolutely correct. When we first got the place, the man who worked it for the previous owner flat out told me that "the only way to hunt the blind in the woods is to freshen it up every week or two". They used to plant browntop in the hole - the ole "I only need a few stalks" defense to baiting when adding seed to standing crop, apparently. They also got busted, not for baiting, but shooting over the limit in there. There is currently a decent stand of barnyard and sprangletop growing, so we may not disk it this year.

6. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

If you have had the grasses the last few years without much success, the ducks are telling you that as a food source, it doesn't light their fire. I would no-till corn in strips into the hole as unlike a farmer you do not care about weeds.

7. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

upload_2017-7-11_16-14-18.png
    Here's what we did...

8. bird whisperer

bird whisperer New Member

Whats the watter depth when you flood it? Reason I ask is if its deep planted corn would be good and if its not perhaps you could work it up fast and plant rice. If you think its to late for that work it up and do Jap millet. I wouldnt worry about opening it up on the edges and concentrate on food. One of my favorite spots to hunt is an old 80 acre place thats been out of productin for about 17 years. Its just CRP that is spit into 3 sections by drainage. Its only good when the creek is up and water is flowing. Its best when there is a freeze and the creek is up. If we could ever get in to it and get some food planted and then get good water it could be epic. You could only be a few extra steps away for having an epic spot. Keep on trying until you get it figured out.

9. arkansashogs_18

arkansashogs_18 Senior Refuge Member

Goodness gracious. Having controlled water already makes your job easier than the vast majority of duck holes. There is definitely, definitely no need to "clean up" the edges of the hole. As others have said, focus on the food source you are offering the birds. No matter the effort, it may just be a gar hole. Ducks are stupid, as evidenced by any of us able to trick them. However, there are natural lays of the land that affect their interest for reasons that do still escape us humans.