Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Cleaning White birds

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Call Turner, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Call Turner

Call Turner Senior Refuge Member

I have a tundra swan and a snow goose mount that are starting to get darker with age. Is there a good way to clean them ? I keep them dusted but they are starting to show the dirt.

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Not sure how they could "show the dirt" if you are keeping them dusted, they shouldn't turn dark with age. Either way, I have cleaned old mounts that were neglected for years using brake cleaner (solvent) from auto parts store. Spraying it directly from the can onto the mount in an outdoor location and away from any source of ignition, it is very flammable. The "dirt" runs off in streams. This may be too drastic for your purpose as the spray is pretty intense pressure-wise when it comes out of the can, but it works. It might be safer to spray it on a cloth and wipe the mounts down depending on how severe the dirt is. It evaporates really fast and any matting can usually be fluffed back up with compressed air or blow dryer set on low if necessary. Be sure not to get it on any painted areas (bill, feet) as it will remove the paint too.

3. pukeko

pukeko Senior Refuge Member

Arm & Hammer Baking Soda. Sprinkle it on and wipe it off with a shop towel.