Cleaning your shotgun the correct way

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Kevin Burroughs, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

60 humper, that's what you get for being the big guy in the squad. Thank you for your service Marine.

2. Kevin Burroughs

I first posted it in 2005. It has been posted many times since then. Isn't my method, my Grandpa taught me. He hunted all over the world.

3. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

Me too, Kevin posted his method of cleaning the Beretta 391 several years ago and it runs like a TOP ...........

Kevin,

Nice to see you back on this forum, you have been missed

4. Kevin Burroughs

Most people don't miss me. Glad it still works for you. I'm still on the CA forum pretty often if you need to find me.

5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Anyone ever try the handheld steam cleaners. I was impressed with it one day when I was cleaning a very neglected o/u that hadn't been cleaned in years. the steam really seemed to work into the nooks and crannies and dislodge the dirt and muck around the springs and tight spaces very well. Just a thought.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

One problem now is the different types of finishes we have. Some cleaners will hurt them. Soap and HOT water never hurt anything.

That will work, but done properly, a hot soap bath and brushes will move everything out. A good idea, but something else you have to buy, unless you already have one. Same with a full size parts cleaner, you have to buy one. Everyone has a tub and soap.

I really don't see why everyone is looking for an excuse to do something else, or knock this advice. This is the cheapest, easiest way to completely clean a gun. Nothing else to buy, and simply works. Why go through all the label reading about what will, or won't, hurt your gun finish? And, if you don't like the idea of soap and water, which has been in use since the black powder days, don't use it. I started doing it when I bought my muzzle loader back in the 70's. Guys in the shop told me how to do it, and explained that if the water is hot, no problems.

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  7. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I have used the Steam Cleaner at the ranch for cleaning my 390 and 391 parts ! I've also use Carb cleaner for the trigger group and springs but
    as I shoot competition clay targets in out of the way places Slip 2000 along with the Carb cleaner has worked well to clean the piston / sleeve !
    My Air Compressor is one of my most valuable tools for cleaning my guns , too !

8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Dawn detergent is good for the soap component. I too thought the hot water & soap method was a FUBAR on steroids. Once a M1 being cleaned in this manner was observed, as they say, proof was in the putting.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  9. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Many an M-16 was cleaned with brake cleaner and then stuck in a hot shower to wash all the gunk out. The hot water is to heat the metal so that the grease is floated off and then the hot metal causes the water to evaporate.

JP and OneShotBandit like this.
  10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

My Pappy used to clean his guns with boiling water and soap. Then he let the women wash their hair with the water and then they washed their socks and then their underwear. Times were tuff. :yes

huntaholic21 likes this.