Cleaning your shotgun the correct way

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Kevin Burroughs, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

I watched 5 YouTube videos on cleaning Beretta Shotguns. Not one removed the recoil spring from the housing and cleaned it. This is a critical part of cleaning your shotgun whether it has a recoil spring in the stock or forward of the bolt. Pull it apart and get it shiny clean, inside and outside of the spring tube. Get it done.

Tuleman and JP like this.
  2. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

Actually, I was not a big guy, but then very few of us in Recon were. I was 5'8" and 160 lbs, there were very few really big guys in our battalion. I got the M60 because I had a proficiency with weapons and the other guys in my team asked me to carry it. So I did. Having a M60 was optional since the whole idea behind our missions were to come and go and never be seen. But when the shtf, the Pig was worth every pound carried.

Attached Files:

buck_master_2001 and goosenazi like this.
  3. Kevin Burroughs

My oldest brother humped one for 2 tours. He was the big guy. 6' 4" about 240. he loved the gun except runaways. He always cleaned his own to make sure it got clean and reassembled correctly.

4. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I would add that the citrus-based cleaners like slip 2000 work better for cooked on carbon, than just soap and hot water. Also, older A5s (and some other recoil guns) only need the full breakdown once in a blue moon. They’re made to take the barrel off and clean/flush from there, for general maintenance. That’s it.

5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I have some old school GM top end cleaner in a jar that I drop the pistons from Beretta's in to clean the carbon. Probably no environment friendly but gets after carbon deposits pretty good.

Tuleman likes this.
  6. Kevin Burroughs

Biggest issue for me is the gas port in the barrel and getting the plastic out of them. pipe cleaner style stainless brush is the only way to dig it out. Hot steel loads really jam the plastic in there. My 390 is famous for it, skinny tight barrel.

7. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

I seldom clean my guns, but use hot water and Dawn. Lot cheaper than fancy gun cleaners and less carcinogenic.

8. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Perhaps I’m lucky but I’ve never touched the ports on any of my Berettas...ever.

9. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Never ever done that either. Never had to.

10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

The more you hunt with a gun, the more you have to clean that gun.