Clearfield Sunflowers Alternative Herbicide

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Drakes Landing, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

i found what appears to be an alternative to Beyond Herbicide for Clearfield Sunflowers. It is called Imox and it has the exact same Active Ingredient and concentration. What I don’t really get being a hobby food plotter is how the other 87% of the non active ingredients work. My assumption is they have a purpose but if they are not “Active” do they matter and how much do they matter? Cost is about $300 less Imox vs Beyond.

Any experience out there with Imox and/or general guidance here? Just not sure i can stomach popping for a $600 gallon of Beyond if there is a relatively close alternative that won’t destroy my plot.

Thoughts?

2. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

I tried sunflowers for 3 different years. First year was a failure because of weeds. The 2nd and 3rd time I was able to produce a crop, think I used Trifluralin. The crop was so successful that every deer in a 1/2 mile radius came there and ate every seed head before dove season started. This was just on 3 acres.

So my thoughts are this, even if you produce a crop you have to deal with other creatures eating the seeds. I tried RR corn and RR beans too. They both fed the deer before I could hunt doves over it. I tried sorghum, it didn't go to seed because of a drought. I gave up on food plotting after that. Now I just fertilize the weeds, spray with roundup, bush hog and burn. Then I hunt over the seeds that are left.

3. Drakes Landing

Thanks Paul, I have had tremendous success with Beyond and Clearfield. I’m just snooping around at alternatives to the $600 herbicide.......it continues to escalate in price every year!

4. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

Could you find someone else to share the cost of the seed and herbicide with you? I'd be willing to do that, but my field is probably much smaller than yours.

5. Drakes Landing

I have most recently been able to get my seed from NWTF but there is a shortage thus year so no seed. I already purchased a bag of Clearfield Sunflowers but still pondering the herbicide. It does last me several years so i guess I should keep doing what works but am intrigued by the Imox.

6. Triple Oiler

Triple Oiler Senior Refuge Member

Hey Drake, hopefully Clayton will weigh his thoughts in not sure if he has experience or not, or someone else who does.
    I myself don’t have much experience, but what about checking in with a local farmer in your area that does grow sunflowers and ask them if they have any experience.

7. Drakes Landing

Farmers in my parts don’t grow Sunflowers. Corn and beans. With that said maybe I will reach out to someone with the Sunflower Growers Association. They should know?

8. Smokehouse

Smokehouse New Member

Lightning 70DG. It's gonna be about $10/acre. A temperory electric fence, designed specifically for deer, is the only way I'm legally able to keep the deer out of my sunflowers.

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Is this sunflower field for a dove spot? As said above, everything I’ve researched, here and elsewhere, has pointed back to fencing in the area to keep the critters out. That gets pricey, on top of an already pricey crop. We don’t get many dove like we used to, but I’ve held quite a few (couple hundred) on just a 4 acre hay field with one acre of millet. Deer don’t mess with it much. Turkey love it. Dove love it. I wasn’t seeing any dove anywhere else around my area, except for on my field, the second weekend of season last year. It wasn’t shot the opening weekend. All it took was a food source and no pressure. YMMV.

10. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

IMG_20190330_184038420.jpg IMG_20190330_183909083.jpg

Trying to convince the owner to let me plant some areas inside the deer fence for erosion control. Planning on buckwheat.