Clearing field of snow...legal?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Trophyduck, Jan 20, 2016.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I understand; it just kills me when the officers don't understand the terminology. Normal agricultural process and wanton waste are both so misused it's really unbelievable. Reminds me of the scene in The Blind Side when the coach asks what the penalty is for. After thinking for a minute, the ref says "excess blocking."

Allan likes this.
  2. turbohunter

turbohunter Refuge Member

Well...it seems that it would be perfectly legal to expose emergent winter wheat, cover crops, or a fallow grass field as none would have developed grain nor would grain be exposed.

3. muskrat25

muskrat25 Elite Refuge Member

Merely removing snow is not exposing grain. But that doesn't mean your removal technique might not go beyond that and expose grain and create an issue. If its bare dirt and no food is present to be exposed, you could disc it ten times a day if you wanted to, hit it with a flamethrower, whatever. I like the idea of the snow blower if you get to it before it crusts over.

Better yet, follow my suggestion from before, find the spots (probably the high spots) where a NE blizzard wind is going to keep a bare spot and set up your blind there.

Here's another idea I just came up with, though I am sure someone has done it before- run some sections of snow fence in the field before the storm. That way you get a bare spot, and right next to it within easy shooting range a nice high snow drift- carve out room for a chair, get a white jacket and you're golden. (By the way, the bare spot will be on the UPWIND side of the snow fence, so think about shooting direction if there are roads or houses around!)

4. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

Bwwwaaaaaaa... whoever told you this know not of what they speak. I bet he also told you that you cannot raise or lower the flatboard risers in your field for flooding. lmao