Climate change

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Dean Nelson, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Always funny when people talk solid science then talk about raising crops in Greenland sense if you bothered to learn that's all based on finding a handful of seeds at the bottom of a fire pit. Here's an exact quote of the discovery.

"Researchers from the National Museum in Copenhagen say the answer to the question is ‘yes’. In a unique find, they uncovered very small pieces of charred grains of barley in a Viking rubbish heap on Greenland"

Obviously unbelievably solid evidence cuz Lord knows they couldn't have brought some seeds over for making beer on their own but they claim they would have never done that they didn't have the room! But that leaves one question where the hell did they get the seeds to plant them with the begin with then.....yep rock solid!

As for "Montana third coldest winter ever" please post up actual data on that because all I could find was Missoula having the third coldest winter ever even though they were only counting on a six-week period In December January and February. Mind you just like here it warmed dramatically after that point. Fact is that's weather not climate fact number two already stated we were not debating the cause we were debating the reality of what's Happening and there is absolutely no debating the fact that things are changing and changing substantially.

This is north Dakota on Christmas week and I could not set a single foot onto our lake yesterday because it was less then an inch thick of ice. This is the latest freeze up ever and that record seems to be falling about every other year. So not sure about you but I'm seeing a bit of a trend here! Now we will be getting back to normal here for a bit but if dont get enough snow that turn the ground fully white you can guarantee that we'll rewarm up again soon enough.

2. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

Dean, there is no doubt that 2016/17 was one of the coldest and snowiest winters in Montana. Greatfalls had its 2nd coldest, missoula its third, Helena its 4th, cutbank its fourth etc..

Your denial of farming in Greenland is way off base. You qouted a debate about whether BARLEY was grown on Greenland. Barley is a single crop, the archeological record of farming includes excavations of over 600 farms, written deeds to farms, and maps of farms. They raised dairy cows and pigs. I'm not saying greenland was a bread basket, but it certainly (according to science) was warmer then - than it is today.

3. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Al Gore did not invent the internet and never said he did.And I do not favor Al Gore.

"The “Al Gore claimed he ‘invented’ the Internet” put-downs were misleading distortions that originated wjth a campaign interview conducted by Wolf Blitzer on CNN’s “Late Edition” program on 9 March 1999. (Gore, then the sitting Vice President, was seeking the 2000 Democratic presidential nomination.")

Despite the multitudinous derisive references to the supposed quote that continue to be proffered even today, former U.S. vice president Al Gore never claimed that he “invented” the Internet, nor did he say anything that could reasonably be interpreted that way. The legend arose from critics and pundits who plucked a relatively credible statement Gore made during the course of an interview, altered its wording, and stripped it of context to make it seem a ridiculously self-serving falsehood.

A spirited defense of Gore’s statement penned by Internet pioneers Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf (the latter often referred to as the “father of the Internet”) in 2000 noted that “Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development” and that “No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution [to the Internet] over a longer period of time”:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  4. Golovkin

If you were born in the 60's 70's or 80's (or lived during that time) you probably have noticed that the weather/Climate has been getting warmer. Historically, those years were the coldest and most (but not all) states have warmed since then. If you were alive in the 30's and 40's, the temps today would be similar to what you experienced then. The next cold cycle could be right around the corner. Despite all the political pressure to link C02 to rising temps - the correlation is really weak when you look at raw un-adjusted data. I could be totally wrong, but I'm more convinced by the solar scientists that believe temperatures are more closely correlated to solar and radiation output than a trace gas in the atmosphere. According to many of them, we are heading into cooler years. https://astronomynow.com/2015/07/17/diminishing-solar-activity-may-bring-new-ice-age-by-2030/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Dean Nelson

You do know they still farm there right!?:rolleyes: They have been farming there steady for at least the last 100 years. Yes they had dairy cows and still do for that matter but sheep are the main thing they farm then and now. Still trying to figure out what you're arguing about sense all you seem to be fixated on is the medieval warm period. Not to mention your 400 years ago date is well off the mark ....need to go back to the Vikings who were long gone by then and even they had trouble by the end most of their farming of anything agricultural crop wise was done very early on in their time there and the Thule people didn't farm.

Of course it's been warmer ....way way warmer if you go back millions of years and it's been colder ....although not cold enough to put a mile of ice over you unless your up in the north east part of the state more or less north of the Missouri.

Like said farming has always been feasible there to some extent during the last two thousand years and is still being down there today as these picture show.

malkeko.jpg

rullegras.jpg

a-couple-overlooking-tasiusaq-sheep-farm-in-south-greenland-1500x630.jpg

waterfowler6963 likes this.
  6. Dean Nelson

And in my most sarcastic condescending voice possible you need to go back and read the damn thread and figure out where anybody has said it didn't happen before and it's totally new! No what this thread is about the fact that it's getting warmer and the waterfowl are responding what this thread was not about was about somebody not paying attention to what the hell they're reading and going off in left field about farming in Greenland trying prove what was not even remotely in the area of the vicinity of the region of the maneuver of this particular thread!

waterfowler6963 likes this.
  7. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

I am not a genius but does not all living grasses,trees and such live on co2 in the air so if we get all co2 out of our enviroment wont it kill all living vegatation without co2 just a question I can not get answered by the tree hugger liberals at my university I work at. What say you

letmwurk likes this.
  8. Golovkin

Plants need about 150 ppm of CO2 to survive. We are about 450ppm right now. Plants really hit their stride at over 1,000ppm.

9. Dean Nelson

One thing I do know this wasn't normal this late in the season until recently.

IMG_20171219_091259482_HDR.jpg

And this on fed 20th of 16 was definitely not normal!!!

IMG_20160220_100709919.jpg

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

This winter up here is pretty standard, but 2016 was an anomaly for sure. I hunted right up to the end of November for the first time ever. Prior to that, I had one or two seasons that froze out in the second week of november, but nearly all the other years , it was either the last week of October or first week of November when freeze out occured. Certainly some changes in climate, trending to warmer over time. "Mean" temps don't mean much, as we have colder winters and warmer summers as you move farther north, so the "mean" temps don't change much. If I have a bucket of ice in one hand and a bucket of hot water in the other , the mean would be around room temp, so it really doesn't reflect the extremes.