Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

CLONE VS SNOW BOT REVIEWS vs LUCK DUCK VERSION

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by hammbone, Jan 12, 2016.

1. i_willie12

i_willie12 Elite Refuge Member

those are sweet looking.. and they sure caught my and several other buddies eyes on facebook... BUT $250 for 1 decoy isn't going to happen Can buy another 6 dozen socks for that And 1 clone aint going to do nothing! Going to have to have a couple

2. Luv2Decoy

Luv2Decoy Senior Refuge Member

unbiased opinion here

I got one about a month ago and my 1st impression is that they look extremely well made. The wing beats are spot on for speed. I am uncertain that one will make a difference but I am certain that if a guy were to run 4-8 in their spread it would look fantastic.

I will post up in a few weeks to let you all know if they are the cat's meow. If you don't see something posted up, it may be that they work sooo good that I want to keep the next best thing all to myself, for the rest of the season.

3. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

I have all four of them up and running in my garage. I agree that they at least appear to be well made. They are way heavier then I thought they would be and yes their wing speed is great as well. I understand guys not wanting to pay the $250.00 a piece, but as I said before, that is a mere drop in the bucket for what most of us have invested at this point. Hopefully that means they will remain the cats *** a little longer for the rest of us?

4. FrankDeGamma

FrankDeGamma Refuge Member

I just unwrapped 2 clones as well as 2 wing beat sillosock flappers yesterday and tinkered with them a little after coming home early from work (had to hide the boxes from the wife). Both seem well made..both noisy and both flap nicely (albeit the $250 clone has much more realistic wing movements due to the tapered wing spars vs- uniform diameter fiberglass rod.. I think I can modify SS for similar movement with little effort). Sillosock flapper is louder, does not allow speed of wing beats to be altered out of box (though tied into rheostat should work) though does have an intermittent flapping feature I think I will like. Wiring on clone is top notch with heavy gauge wire/battery clamps, whereas SS is very light gauge speaker wire. IMO without getting them in field to test durability and how geese react...I should have bought 10 SS flappers for the 2 clones I got.

5. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

I have a Sno-Bot and two Sillosock flappers and my experience mirrors most of the comments above. I wish the Sillosock would arrive without having to cut the fiberglass rods for the wings but not a huge issue, just wanted to be sure before I stuck em in the motor assembly.

Sno-bot has a more true realistic wingbeat, seems bullet proof and ran for two days on a lawnmower battery with no signs of slowing down. Sillosock flapper is nice with the intermittent setting and ran all day for me with the small 12 volt battery. The stake needs some beefing up in my opinion, seems flimsy.

I'll probably invest in more Sillosock flappers, can't really beat the price on em and in my limited experience with snow geese, I'd say more movement the better.

I haven't used a Clone but a friend of a friend bought two. Ran one for a full day and the wing broke next morning. The other broke in the same spot the day after for whatever that's worth.

6. Luv2Decoy

Luv2Decoy Senior Refuge Member

First hunt with the Clone was this past weekend and as I thought, one did not seem to be a difference maker. I am surprised about hearing that the wings on DM's broke, mine smashed to the ground in the winds and didn't seem to be harmed. The stake is a serious issue, be sure and bring along some extra rods to support the decoy. We hunted soft ground and ended up with a support stake approx 12" into the ground plus the supplied stake assembly to keep it up.

7. LuxuryHunter

LuxuryHunter Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

I agree, the stake system on the clone is useless. Use 1/2" conduit just like we use on our Feather Flyers.

8. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Just to be clear, it wasn't mine that broke (don't own one) but a friend of a friend so I haven't seen the broken pieces in person.

9. Huntges11

Huntges11 Senior Refuge Member

We ran 3 Clones this past weekend in the spread and I could not tell you they were the difference we were looking for. Besides being way louder than I would like, we even put a speaker or two by them to drown them out, I could hear them from my laydown 20yds away. They stayed stuck in our field fine it was dry ground for the most part. And in some 25-40mph winds they never fell over. Hoping to see some better results this weekend.

10. CSUguy

CSUguy Senior Refuge Member

Any insights or opinions from the fall season on Snows thus far using the Clone, Sno-Bot, Lucky Duck Snow, or Sillosock Power Flapper?