Coastal vs Inland birds

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by duckduckboom, Nov 20, 2017.

1. duckduckboom

duckduckboom Senior Refuge Member

In South Carolina we have very diverse water ways. From salt marshes too large fresh water lakes. I have pretty good success with divers on our fresh water lakes. It's the marsh hunting that gives me trouble. I'll admit that I don't have near the time spent on the coast as I do inland. It's just always frustrating when I see birds and they don't respond the way I like them too. Any tips on coastal water divers?

2. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Senior Refuge Member

What kind of birds are you shooting inland. Are you using the same decoys on the coast.
    Coast could mean a mile off the beach in a big Sound or tucked into a narrow oxbow in a place that dries out at low tide. Current can have a big effect on birds. Less on big waters and a lot where they would be flushed quickly through a narrow pass.
    The times I’ve rigged out in current have been on big waters and only less than two knots current. Huge bails of seaweed wreck havic one the decoys, when the grass is running.
    If you rig out where the birds are you should be OK. One reason seaduck hunters go out late is to find the birds and rig out there. I hate to say it but I assume you can tell a scoter from a cormorant. Don’t get mad at me , I took a young marine out for an open water shoot and he finally could recognize a cormorant after about two dozen flybys.
    I’ve not done any freshwater diver shooting but here we have a lot of ring necks on the golf course ponds. They seem to like smaller fresher waters.