Cockleburr and summer flooding?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Fowler267, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I have read where keeping water on a spot will keep cocklebur from growing?

I was checking a spot that had water on it until mid or late July and it was solid burrs... And I sprayed a light amount of 2,4,D as well....

I guess we have super burs!

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I hate cocklebur as much as the next man but never considered it to be a dirty word like this site.....

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

From what I understand about 'burs, it isn't as much about how long water is on a spot and more about how quickly the water was taken off. Uneven soil moisture promotes the growth of undesirables such as 'burs and coffeebean. That's one reason, among many, why a slow draw-down or re-flood is desirable in moist soil areas, it promotes even soil moisture both laterally and vertically.

This contains some information about 'burs and what causes them to proliferate.

https://www.fws.gov/columbiawildlife/MoistSoilReport.pdf

Do you know how quickly the water was taken off in July? That could explain it.

4. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

This past spring I found cockleburs sprouting in skim water. I know for a fact the ground had not been exposed previously. I made sure to nail them with 2,4-D as soon as I could. Seen Asters sprouting in water for decades.