Cold Bay vs Valdez

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by quackerduck, Jun 2, 2011.

1. quackerduck

quackerduck Senior Refuge Member

Need some help. Wife and i are thinking of doing a cast and blast, in Sept. Which would you guys pick for best photo opps. Which one for the c&b THANKS :tu

2. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

Cold Bay for the shooting and fishing in September. I think it has good photo ops, but then I am funny that way.

Valdez will have sea ducks in poor early season plumage, and some of the sea ducks will still be in up north or out west on their breeding grounds. There won't be a lot of puddlers around.

Valdez will have more scenic views up close. There should be some salmon fishing going on still in fresh water like the Robe River which is a road side access so no guide needed. There still should be some bottom fishing going on.

Cold Bay will put you face to face with big bears and maybe some caribou along with the birds. There will be brant, geese, and puddlers. Depending on the guide company you can get into AK Penn steelhead waters, or just slam silvers in the town streams.

You left out Cordova which has birds, bears, fishing, and scenery. Just not much in the way of waterfowl guiding history. Mostly DIY there for some reason.

3. Ring King

Ring King Elite Refuge Member

Yep, you're all on your own in Cordova for the duck hunting. DIY is definitely doable for puddlers and geese from the roadway or stay at some place like Bears Den Cabins where you can also get a jon boat to run down the Eyak and hunt the ponds along the river. Tons of mallards, teal, pintails, and a few geese. There are also sandhill cranes around in September using the rivers as flyways. Pretty easy to get in front of the flocks and pass shoot. Fishing is wide open in September there as well. Lots of silvers, a few late season pinks, plenty of dolly varden, and a decent number of cut throat trout around. Also the halibut are in pretty close to town as they follow the salmon migration in. Plenty to see and do in Cordova and you'd be hard pressed to find a prettier place. I'll try and remember to post up a few scenic pics when I get home tonight if you'd like.

4. quackerduck

quackerduck Senior Refuge Member

I LOVE PICTURES THANKS:sp

5. Ring King

6. Ring King

7. Ring King

8. Ring King

9. Ring King