North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Cold weather launch ramp?

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Irish eyes, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Senior Refuge Member

whoever was praying for cold weather please stop. I will not be able to get out again until Tuesday, the first. By then I think all my usual ramps will be frozen. Not sure if the saltier water ramps will be still open but I will probably drive to the coast to find out.
    Looks like 48+ hours of below freezing weather, then freezing every night for a week with little warming in the day.
    Great weather for hunting.......if you can launch. I imagine this will bring many inland gunners to the coast. Be safe out there.

2. JD1107

JD1107 Senior Refuge Member

First one to the ramp and pack the rock salt! Stay safe everyone and happy hunting.

3. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

10-4 on the rock salt... along with a long, strong rope and a come-along, or a winch if you have one.

Who's taking bets that there will be at least one boat, trailer, and vehicle sliding into the water this week somewhere in the Carolinas?

Be safe, Guys!

JD1107 likes this.
  4. PrairieDream'n

PrairieDream'n Senior Refuge Member

I'm betting the number lost will be directly proportionate to the number headed here from parts west.. icy winter ramp entertainment is second only to the fun that can be had watching them Memorial Day weekend... but not by much.

PDPWEE likes this.
  5. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Ahhh... So it looks like we could have a double wager to set up here...

1. How many boats, trailers and/or vehicles will slide into the water this week, from the VA to GA borders?

2. What percentage of said river/lake bed sightseers will be from the "Western Provinces" vs residents from within 50(?) miles of the coast?

Who wants to keep the tallies?

The winner gets a free :tu... :yes

6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I saw lots of “duck rigs” heading that way today, including a 15 footer sport’n a big ole mud motor. Guess he plans on going over the ice to get to the open water ...:yes

WoodieSC likes this.
  7. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

Woodie...you might need a calculator for THOSE numbers!

NCB

WoodieSC likes this.
  8. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

I'll add another tip to launching in freezing temps. If you will take the time to stop and let your trailer drain before pulling it out of the water it would eliminate a lot of ice. Also as I had to tell a 919'er Saturday morning at juniper bay, turn off your damn headlights when your at the ramp.

PDPWEE, obx-dux and WoodieSC like this.
  9. PrairieDream'n

10. PrairieDream'n

Could have been worse...like an ole 336/828`er making the once a year pilgrimage...hey bud, I think I can still see your headlights under water there if you want to wade on out and hook this chain up..