Colorado Waterfowl Hunting?

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by tturnbaugh, Sep 12, 2012.

1. tturnbaugh

tturnbaugh Senior Refuge Member

I am a active duty Air Force currently stationed in northern California. I recently got orders to Korea, leaving in February, and with these orders comes the opportunity to transfer to a new base if I choose after my 1 year in Korea. I have been at the same base in California for 9 years and I am possibly looking for a change. I am curious how waterfowl hunting is in Colorado. I just started duck hunting 3 years ago and fell in love with it. I currently only hunt refuges here in California as with the threat of deployments or Korea orders, I never wanted to pay for a rice blind and not be able to use it. I am mainly looking for general information on how waterfowl hunting is in Colorado. Is hunting mostly done on lakes, rivers, refuges, farm land, private land? Is there a lot of public land to hunt? What do you think of the season length, limits, the variety of waterfowl? California is lucky to have a long season and some of best limits and variety in the country. I really haven't gotten into big game hunting but I could always start. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Tim

2. choclab25

choclab25 Senior Refuge Member

Colorado has a lot to offer with waterfowl...Northern CO and North EAstern CO is a little crowded from all the folks in Denver, but offers a good experience. There is a lot of public opportunity but expect a lot of travel time. Also depends on where you are - if you end up in Colorado Springs then the Arkansas Valley is easy to get to and does not have a ton or crowds. WEstern slope has some good hunting too.
    One thing I've noticed here is that people hunt dark geese more than anything...some really big flocks of Canadas. Expect to buy a trailer and about 12 dozen decoys though.

3. cobbhead

cobbhead Refuge Member

I assume you're looking at one of the three bases around Colorado Springs. Expect A LOT of driving, to the southeast is 120-160 miles and the northeast is 200-275 miles from home. There are birds elsewhere but those two areas, in my experience, are best if you're stuck with hunting public areas. That said I enjoy some really good trips every year. Look me up when you get stationed, we'll drag one of my duckboats out and I can show you some birds! Good luck on your new posting.

Steve

4. SkyCarp

SkyCarp Senior Refuge Member

Buckley AFB will put you closer to better hunting and just more to do in general. I live in Colorado Springs and it is a bit of a drive to get to any hunting and with all the people moving here and bringing that leasing mentality with them, huntings going to crap and fast. if you want Waterfowl, Upland & Big game, you should consider Malmstrom in Montana. I work at Peterson AFB (civil service) and am trying to get up to Malmstrom myself

5. tturnbaugh

tturnbaugh Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the input. I still haven't decided where to put in for my follow-on assignment. I was going to put Buckley down as one of my choices but as of right now, they are 100% manned in my position. Peterson is an option, but not likely, but I do not know there manning levels.