Colors for wigeon

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Billy Bob, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Anybody have a list of colors they use on wigeon decoys? Mainly looking for the side and breast colors of both the hens drakes drakes. All of the colors I've been told to use on the drakes are way too pink (similar to GHG colors) and look nothing like a live wigeon.

2. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I haven't used them, but Valspar has a good selection. I believe Lowe's sell valspar. Here's a link to some colors .....

https://www.valsparpaint.com/en/explore-colors/painter/color-selector.html#

I also had some info on Home Depot and Lowe's paints, but this is from a file from 10 years or so ago, so they may not carry them anymore? Home Depot are Behr Premium Plus flat exterior latex paints and Lowe's are either PPG or `*Laura Ashley flat exterior latex paints.

upload_2018-3-31_11-0-43.png

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. Billy Bob

Thanks for the lists but the colors still aren't correct, the sides of a drake wigeon are not burgundy as on those lists.

It seems that nobody paints their wigeon decoys with the correct colors. I tried the search function here and found nothing even close to correct. I may take some feathers from wigeon in my freezer and see if I can find colors that match or if they will/can color match for me. I have 16 dozen floater wigeon and 150 silos and home made shells(mostly drakes) needing full paint or touching up so a gallon size may work.

Thanks again for sharing your info

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

The color on this birds side pockets are dead nuts on point.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You are most likely going to have to mix your own to get the exact color you're looking for.
    I'd start with some burnt umber and some light grey, have some black and white on hand as well.:tu

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  5. gwdecoys

gwdecoys Elite Refuge Member

drop me an e mail at
    gwdecoys@Verizon.net.
    I will forward you what I have written.
    Have a Blessed Easter

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  6. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

Here is a block painted widgeon done with Parker Decoy Paints...they are flat marine enamels. The side and breast color was pulled directly from widgeon feathers and I sent them a color sample to match to. The match was perfect to what I sent them. This color should be available to the public in a couple of weeks. All of the other colors are their green, black, white, tan, and medium gray.
    _B4A4889A.jpg

Billy Bob and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  7. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Well, if you don't have any luck, you might still go look at the valspars (from the link). Should be able to get a customized color. Here's a few in the general colors compared to the images callinfowl gave:

upload_2018-4-1_13-10-52.png

Attached Files:

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  8. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

Good god that’s alot of widgeon decoys.

9. Billy Bob

Thank you! I brought in a frozen drake wigeon to compare them and those colors on the back and sides are the closest I have seen yet. They will work. :tu

10. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

If you have a home depot out your way, they will mix up & match what you need.
    They have really helped me to dial in my paint supply colors these last few years.
    I take mounted specimens in with me !

Ringbill