Commission considers 2004-2005 deer season options

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by City_Slicker, Dec 29, 2003.

1. City_Slicker

City_Slicker Elite Refuge Member

They are asking for public input on this by some January 6th meeting.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission is considering several options for the 2004-2005 deer season and they would like to have as much input as possible on these options from the hunting public. AGFC director Scott Henderson said that public input is invaluable when it comes to making decisions about season lengths and bag limits. “We may think we know where hunters want to go with deer season. But, we need to hear from them to make sure we understand and to include them in the decision making process,” he said.

2004-2005 possible deer season options:
    Archery
    All Zones: October 1-February 28.
    Muzzleloader
    Option 1: All Zones, except 4 and 5: October 30-November 7 and December 18-20.
    Zones 4 and 5: Closed.
    Option 2: All Zones, except 4 and 5: October 16-19 and December 18-20.
    Zones 4 and 5: Closed.
    Modern Gun
    Option 1: Zones 1, 2, 3, 4, 4A, 5, 5A, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 and 13: November 13-30.
    Zones 9, 12, 14, and 15: November 13-December 12.
    Zones 16, 16A and 17: November 13-December 19.
    Option 2: Zones 1, 2, 3, 4, 4A, 5, 5A, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 and 13: November 13-21 and November 25-December 5.
    Zones 9, 12, 14, and 15: November 13-December 12.
    Zones 16, 16A and 17: November 13-December 19.
    Christmas Holiday Modern Gun Deer Hunt
    Option 1: No Change (Sunday, Monday and Tuesday)
    All Zones: December 26-28.
    Option 2: Calendar Adjustment (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday)
    All Zones: December 27-29.
    Bag Limit
    Zones 2, 6, 7, 8, 10 and 11: three deer limit, two bucks and one doe (zone doe quota permit required to harvest a doe).
    Option 1: Three deer limit, two bucks and one doe (zone doe quota permit required to harvest a doe).
    Option 2: Two deer limit, one buck and one doe (zone doe quota permit required to harvest a doe).
    Zones 1, 3, 4, 4A, 5, 5A and 13: three deer limit, two bucks and one doe.
    Zone 9: four deer limit, no more than two bucks and two does.
    Zones 12, 14, 15, 16, 16A and 17: four deer limit, no more than two bucks.

Buck Harvest Strategy—Statewide Legal Buck
    Option 1: Four or less total points or any buck with four points on one side. (two buck bag limit). Based on 2002 biological data and simulated statewide the slot would protect 35% (7,273 deer) of yearlings with five and six points total. Slot will also protect 34% (8,600 deer) of the two and a half year old bucks with five and six points total. The slot will also protect the quality yearlings and allow the inferior quality deer to be harvested.

Option 2: The first buck killed would be a buck of the hunter’s choosing and the second buck killed must have four points on one side. Based on 1997 biological data and with the assumption that 60% of hunters only harvest one buck, only 257 deer will be protected statewide. This also takes into consideration that the bucks that need to be protected (higher quality yearlings) will be harvested.

Option 3: Three-points on one side (two buck bag limit). No change from previous years.

Option 4: Buck of choice (one buck bag limit).

“These are just items under consideration,” Henderson said. “Comments from hunters and landowners are going to be key to this process. We realize that we can’t just take a simple yes or no vote to set deer seasons and bag limits but, public involvement is critical,” he added.
    “Although hunting seasons are several months off, now is the time to air your opinion about the upcoming seasons,” Henderson said. “Although hunters are more likely to comment if they don't like a proposal, it helps us gauge public opinion if hunters would also comment when they support a recommendation,” he explained.
    Hunters can voice those opinions about hunting regulations and seasons at one of 11 public meetings to be held around the state on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2004.
    The meetings are part of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission’s annual hunting regulations process. They are held to give hunters and other interested parties the opportunity to make comments and proposals for the 2004-2005 hunting seasons.
    Comments may be either verbal or written. Written comments may be submitted at one of the meetings or mailed to the AGFC, attn: Hunting Regulations Proposals, #2 Natural Resources Dr., Little Rock, Ark. 72205. The deadline for comments is Jan. 31, 2004. The information is available on the AGFC website at www.agfc.com.
    The 11 meetings will be held from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Visitors can arrive any time during the hours of the meeting, make their comments and leave at any time. Meeting sites and telephone numbers are:
    *Little Rock – AGFC Office, 2 Natural Resources Drive, 1-800-364-4263.
    *Perrytown – AGFC Regional Office, 7004 Hwy 67 East, 1-877-777-5580.
    *Russellville – AGFC Regional Office, 1266 Lock and Dam Rd., 1-877-967-7577.
    *Calico Rock – AGFC Regional Office, Hwy 56 North, 1-877-297-4331.
    *Barling – AGFC Regional Office, 8000 Taylor Avenue, Fort Smith, 1-877-478-1043.
    *Hot Springs – AGFC Regional Office, 350 Fish Hatchery Road, 1-877-525-8606.
    *Monticello – AGFC Regional Office, 771 Jordan, 1-877-367-3559.
    *Brinkley – AGFC Regional Office, 1201 North Hwy 49, 1-877-734-4581.
    *Jonesboro – AGFC Regional Office, 2920 McClellan Drive, 1-877-972-5438.
    *Camden – AGFC Regional Office, near the National Guard Armory off Bradley Ferry Road, 1-877-836-4612.
    *Eureka Springs – AGFC Regional Office, 455 Dam Site Road, Beaver Lake Dam,
    1-866-253-2506.
    ####

2. MALLARD MAGICIAN

MALLARD MAGICIAN Elite Refuge Member

I really like buck harvest option #1, but I hope they will look at giving certain areas of the state a 2 doe bag as well if they are going to contiune with the 2 buck bag. I thought one of the reasons for the 3pt rule was to allow the younger bucks to get some age, take the pressure off those bucks, and kill some doe(trying to get a better buck to doe ratio). How in the world can you ever make steps in the right directions, as far as ratios go, if you are allowing hunters to kill twice as many bucks as doe?

Just my 2 cents worth, that I will be voice to the Game & Fish, hope you all will do the same.

edit note: I am still in favor of buck harvest option #1, and I now see in the season dates and total bag limits that they are considering a 4 deer bag limit with no more then two bucks allowed, in given zones. Good job AG&FC, looks like they put a little more thought into these options instead of just over-reacting to public out-cry, as they did this season.

3. timber rat

timber rat Senior Refuge Member

MM,
    You're in the delta, take a look at the modern gun proposals for Zones 4 and 5:eek: .They're proposing running the modern gun seasons the entire statewide season length as opposed to the 3 day season for zone 4 and two three day seasons for Crowleys Ridge (zone 5). We' ve got a decent deer herd, thanks to the shorter seasons and shotgun/ muzzle loader only weapons restrictions. If they do this we will go back to having almost NO deer in the delta like back in the 60's and 70s. Deer are just too easy to kill in the small scattered out patches of woods, especially where they drive them on 4 wheelers. We need to let the Commissioners know we don't want or need this much season in East Arkansas. I'll be going to one of the public meetings and speaking out.
    TR

4. MALLARD MAGICIAN

MALLARD MAGICIAN Elite Refuge Member

Yes I was just editing my original thoughts as you were posting. I read the season dates & limits too fast first time around. I am in the delta, but in zone 9, not 4 or 5. I do not hunt in zone 4, but do understand the lack of cover issue they face there. I agree with what they are proposing for my zone, they are going back to a 1:1 kill ratio, which is a good thing. But I do see your point of the WAY too liberal seasons they are proposing for zone 4, and if this goes through as listed I total believe it is a BIG step backwards.

Everyone let your thoughts be known on these issues. The state is being very Pro-active on the health of our deer herd with these options, and we as hunters need to let them know which direction we want our herd to take. A lot of this state has the potential to be producing some AWSOME deer hunting, both in size & numbers, if it is managed right. The AG&FC is trying to do their part, are you?

5. Tork

Tork Senior Refuge Member

We sure dont need any more days to gun hunt in zone 4,this short gun season is why we have the quality and number of bucks we have now,anyone that wants a longer season needs to take up bowhunting.I well remember the 70's and 80's and sure dont want our deer herd to decline back to that.

6. Thndrstck

Thndrstck Senior Refuge Member

Local told me Jan 6 at Brinkley.

7. timber rat

timber rat Senior Refuge Member

Better get out and speak up at the public meetings on January 6. We can make a big difference. You can call or e-mail the Game and Fish Commissioners too. If I can find their e-mail addresses, I'll post them. They have been posted here a few times before and we should be able to go back and fgind them.
    TR