Common Foods That Are Toxic to Dogs.

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Losthwy, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. Swamp Dog

    Swamp Dog New Member

    Messages:
    15
    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2005
    Location:
    West Tennessee
    My Vet told me today that "ORBIT" gum can kill dogs.
     
  2. cancan

    cancan Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    7,467
    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2003
    Location:
    Wherever I may roam
    darn eggs???? my last dog ate raw egg once a week her whole life she lived to be 16...and the one by my feet now gets em now and then shes 12....

    what is the effect of biotin deficiency?
     
  3. Redonthehead

    Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    1,625
    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2005
    Location:
    The middle zone of MO
    I'm not 100%, but I'm fairly certain my older lab had a bad reaction to acorn squash. Figured it out the second time it happened. Constant walking, panting, with a wild look in the eyes.
     
  4. jeremymb

    jeremymb Guest

    1. Raisins/Grapes

    cash was eating some grapes before i stopped him on the way out to the field now i know why he threw up.
     
  5. PaCowboy

    PaCowboy Refuge Member

    Messages:
    98
    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2006
    Location:
    Pa
    Got this in an email from a retiever club...

    Subject: Sad case of raisin poisoning dog

    This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at
    MedVet.

    My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix who ate half a
    canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He
    started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the
    owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM. I had heard somewhere
    about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any
    formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In
    the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was
    like me -- had heard something about it, but....

    Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and
    they said to give I V fluids at 1 = times maintenance and watch the kidney
    values for the next 48-72 hours.

    The e dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
    than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are
    monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter
    and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was
    over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of
    fluids.

    At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to
    MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as
    overnight care.

    He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
    continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
    diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still
    couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his
    BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very
    elevated
    and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to
    2 20. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize

    This is a very sad case -- great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
    could be a toxin.

    Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.
    Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many
    people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our
    ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

    Laurinda Morris, DVM
    Danville Veterinary Clinic
    Danville, Ohio
     
  6. Losthwy

    Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    2,824
    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2000
    Location:
    Green Mountain, Co
    My guess that it contains the sweetner Xylitol.
     
  7. Cappy_TX

    Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    4,933
    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2000
    Location:
    Denison, TX
    Doc ... if I'm not mistaken, it's been determined that the Mac NUT is NOT harmful. However, there has been found a toxin in the HUSKS that have caued sickness or death in dogs on the Big Island of Hawaii. First noticed in areas where the macadamia hulls are used as landscape mulch much as we use pine bark here. Enough dogs were being treated that more than one Big Island vet associated the hulls with the high incidence of the toxic reactions.
     
  8. Losthwy

    Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    2,824
    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2000
    Location:
    Green Mountain, Co
    It can lead to skin and coat problems. It is ironic that why most feed them to dogs for it had been believed it is good for the coat. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.
     
  9. Longtom

    Longtom Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    5,553
    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2000
    Location:
    Walnut Bottom Sloughs.....Alzey, KY
    Peach pits and other fruit seeds contain cyanide....Oh yeah and chocolate is a no-no....
     
  10. Richard

    Richard Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    9,509
    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2001
    Location:
    No Longer in Bremerton, WA... Now is the Sunny Tri
    Forgive my ignernce......


    what does chocolate do to dogs?


    I ask because we have a 13 y/o Brittany and if finds any chocolate at nose level, it's his. Has been that way for a long long time.

    So my question..... what does it do?



    Thanks in advance
    Richard
     

Share This Page