Common Foods That Are Toxic to Dogs.

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Losthwy, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. Reverend Colt

    Reverend Colt Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    3,159
    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2004
    Location:
    Carolina
    that's what I was thinking. I had a blue heeler for years that pretty well ate whatever I ate. that suck loved grilled onions.

    I remember my first dog when I was 7 got raw eggs once or twice a week. I give my lab eggs now but boil them first. Woops.

    I never thought this was such a great idea but several of the cowboys I worked with out in Tex/ OK used to worm there dogs with copenhagen. Made the msick but didn't kill them. Hell it makes ME sick.
     
  2. Delta Waterfowler

    Delta Waterfowler New Member

    Messages:
    14
    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2007
    Location:
    Virginia
    Wow....that was very informative. I cannot believe that grapes are bad for the dogs! thats a shocker. Good tips though..Thanks:tu
     
  3. tubshooter

    tubshooter Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    1,889
    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    Southern Maryland
    We eat salmon at my house several times a week. My 6YO chocolate lab gets the skin and loves it. Lots of omega 3's there. I assume that cooking kills the parasite responsible for the salmon poisoning.
     
  4. Woody1&2

    Woody1&2 Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    1,142
    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2007
    Location:
    Spokane, WA
    Wow, my dogs should all be dead... They eat chocolate, and many of the things on this list!

    My vet actually said he feeds his dogs bite-sized snicker's bars as treats..... Go figure.... He's been in business for 30-some years, and has a successful business. Like he said, everything in moderation.

    That said, I certainly am not going to go home and give my dog 10 candy bars a day... Think of what it would do to me if I ate proportionally that many... I'd weigh 500# by the end of the year! It would do the same to the dog, and likely kill him and me!
     
  5. cancan

    cancan Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    7,467
    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2003
    Location:
    Wherever I may roam
    The dogs food contains all it needs there is no need to supplement Human food or pass on bad eating habits. choclates problem with dogs is not a "human" getting fat problem. Dogs arent people and shouldnt be treated or fed as such.:)
     
  6. chris0369

    chris0369 Senior Refuge Member

    Messages:
    511
    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2007
    Location:
    AL
    onions are on the list #12 garlic/onions
     
  7. Trout Bum

    Trout Bum Senior Refuge Member

    Messages:
    634
    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2006
    Location:
    Parker, CO
    What about tomatoes Doc? My daughter said she heard they were also toxic.
     
  8. Losthwy

    Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    2,824
    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2000
    Location:
    Green Mountain, Co
    Tomatoes are non-toxic to dogs, in fact they are an ingredient in many dog foods.
     
  9. spaightlabs

    spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    6,458
    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2004
    Location:
    Centennial, CO
    not a food, but found in every household, and too often eaten by pups...

    pennies - after 1982 the zinc content in pennies went up significantly. Recently read a post on RTF where a fellow lost his 10 week old pup to a single penny. Stomach acid leaches the zinc which is toxic to dogs. as few as one to three pennies can be sufficient to cause irreversible damage, so keep the loose change where pup can't get at it.
     
  10. maxx

    maxx Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    4,741
    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2004
    Location:
    Iowa
    Just last week the family went to watch the wifes volleyball game, I got to watch the kids and drink beer.

    Came home and found a entire package of grapes was eaten by the dog. Since I had a few adult beverages I couldn't drive and the wife didn't want to go so I had to have a buddy pick me up and take the dog to the ER vet clinic.

    They made her puke and gave her some charcol and sent us home 163 dollars later. Dumb mistake on my part for leaving the grapes out. She seemed fine and probably would have been ok but I didn't want to take the chance.

    The Vet clinic wanted to keep her on put her on fluids for a day or two. Been there done that before to a tune of 1500 a day. I took my chance and she was ok.
     

Share This Page