Common Foods That Are Toxic to Dogs.

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Losthwy, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. 30 caliber

    30 caliber Refuge Member

    Messages:
    60
    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location:
    New Mexico
    Really good point about the pennies. I am a veterinarian and have seen that happen. Iron in multiple vitamins can be toxic if overdosed. I have had cases of iron poisoning from dogs chewing open the kid's chewable vitamin bottle and eating a bunch of vitamins. Also, Tylenol should only be used for a short period of time, not for long term control of arthritic pain (for example). Ibuprofen is bad news. It goes without saying that human prescription medications can be deadly for pets. Don't forget about antifreeze and windshield cleaner fluid. I know they are not food, but they are very sweet tasting, so animals will drink them. Make sure your radiator doesn't leak and that you rinse areas thoroughly where these fluids may be spilled. Good thread.:tu
     
  2. Austin Griggs

    Austin Griggs Senior Refuge Member

    Messages:
    367
    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    Watch those over the counter liquid flea and tick meds as well. The other day I put on the dog flea and tick med just like the directions say. Base of the neck to mid back. Later on I was in the garage riging up some decoys and heard the dog scratch at the door. When i let her into the garage the only way to describe it was: like I was was watching a video of a cow that had mad cow. The dog was salivating heavily, walking like she was very intoxicated and had that look in her eyes like "dad what is wrong with me". After a few minutes she came around and was fine. I kept her in the garage while I finished and noticed her lean back and she was licking her back where the flea and tick med was. I stoped her and noticed that she started salivating heavily. Talked with the vet the next day and before I could tell them the entire story they thought it might have been a siezure, then i told them she was licking the meds. Then they knew right away that the meds were the cause.
     
  3. thughes

    thughes New Member

    Messages:
    2
    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Location:
    California
    Grapes: can cause renal failure and death depending on the size of the dog and the amount ingested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_and_raisin_toxicity_in_dogs so little is known and the effects are so serious that dogs should not be allowed to eat grapes and should be kept out of reach, including young children's sunmaid raisin boxes.

    Chocolate: potentially poisonous, depending on the amount eaten and the coco content. symptoms of overdose - vomiting diarrhea, seizures, hyperactivity and increased thirst, urination

    Coffee: can cause same symptoms as chocolate

    Alcohol: can cause gastrointestinal irritation, tremors, difficulty breathing, coma and death.

    Avocados: can result in respiratory distress and accumulation of fluid around the heart. can also obviously cause obesity and gastrointestinal irritation due to the high fat content.

    Onions/Garlic/Chives: can cause GI upset. garlic has some medicinal purposes and are often used in dog foods, but only in moderation.

    Salt: can cause sodium ion poisoning. symptoms include regurgitation, tremors, excessive thirst, diarrhea, high temperature and seizures. in high doses, it can cause death.

    Tomatoes: the fruit itself is not poisonous but the green leaves, stem and unripened portions can be. the same is true of the potato.

    Xylitol: used in candy and gum

    Yeast Dough: as it rises, it can expand the GI tract and rupture the intestine. it can also form alcohol and cause alcohol poisoning.
     
  4. TRIPOD

    TRIPOD New Member

    Messages:
    22
    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Location:
    arkansas
    better safe than sorry. my dog only eats dog food. and hes fine. vets are starting to see large numbers of pancreatitis from table food.
     
    leftyhunter likes this.
  5. Lindy Rig

    Lindy Rig Refuge Member

    Messages:
    97
    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2006
    Location:
    Minnesota
    I have also heard corn cobs can be fatal for dogs. If they eat enough I guess they can't digest it.
     
  6. Losthwy

    Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    2,824
    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2000
    Location:
    Green Mountain, Co
    If they eat one and don't throw it up, either an operation or they die. My Lab ate a 2" lenght of a cob he dug out of the trash, which he did throw up at 2:00 A.M. and that is how I learn he had eaten one. $250 vet bill with an x-ray to make sure there wasn't another. Now the trash stays in the garage. My friend's Chessie ate a dirty sock which it didn't throw up. That lesson costed him around 3 grand.
     
    leftyhunter likes this.
  7. stuwest

    stuwest Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    5,187
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2002
    Location:
    Elmwood, WI
    the corn cobs are especially dangerous after you've dribbled melted butter all over them and salted them. they will gorge out in those conditions. we treat corn cobs as a poison around here.
     
  8. cobblerock

    cobblerock New Member

    Messages:
    27
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2007
    Location:
    N.E.Utah
    I guess we all have given our dogs most of these things and it hasn't killed them we should feel lucky. Some of them I didn't know about. Some I did. Thanks for the update.
     
  9. Losthwy

    Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

    Messages:
    2,824
    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2000
    Location:
    Green Mountain, Co
  10. duckoholic

    duckoholic Refuge Member

    Messages:
    92
    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2001
    Location:
    Tishomingo Oklahoma
    Damn me and ol Boomer used to enjoy a cold beer and a hunting video on the weekends??? Maybe that is what did him n??? he liked a little Skoal Longcut from time to time too :confused:
     

Share This Page