Common Foods That Are Toxic to Dogs.

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Losthwy, Feb 5, 2007.

1. RemisGunner

RemisGunner Senior Refuge Member

I was wondering about apples? We moved into a new house this summer and it has an apple tree in the back yard. I didn't pay much attention to it until it started dropping apples. The the dogs started eating the apples. So is there any concern over them eating apples?

2. Losthwy

Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

Apple seeds do contain cyanides. Though the risk is low, it would be prudent not to let your dog eat the seeds.

http://news.ag.uidaho.edu:591/News/...tle&date=3/1/2002..3/31/2002&-recid=37&-find=

3. VT DukHntr

VT DukHntr Elite Refuge Member

I heard of grapes years after my dog started eating them. He used to come to work with me at night and I often brought various fruits including grapes for myself (and him) to eat throughout the night shift.
    On more then 1 occassion we split a bag of grapes. That boy could catch a grape from 15-20 feet away everytime.

Somewhere I heard it was seeded grapes that were bad. ??????

4. HEWHOHUNTS

HEWHOHUNTS Senior Refuge Member

our lab has eatin every apple off our apple tree except the ones she cant jump up and reach.Sometimes breaking branches off and draging them in the house. So far she has never been sick from them.
    Our vet told us we could use up to 400mg of advil for the dogs when they were sore from a hard day in the field?

5. Baldpates

Baldpates Refuge Member

I have a friend that carried his lab into a vet and insisted that it be treated for Salmon poisoning because his regular vet did not believe that Salmon poisoning was the issue. The dog is still alive today because of my friend?s persistence. Isn?t the poisoning from a parasite that lives on the slime coating or do they actually live within the fishes flesh? I do know that dogs are the only animal affected and it is almost exclusive in the NW to the west side of the Cascade Mountain Range.

6. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

7. Losthwy

Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

8. aqualungz

aqualungz Refuge Member

My sisters black lab ate about 2 dozen grapes off the kitchen table and his eyes swelled shut. Took him to the vet and they said grapes are toxic. He pulled thru fine.

9. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Here's a pretty extensive list of 'Poisonous Plants' to be careful with...

10. Baldpates

Baldpates Refuge Member

Something that most of us overlook and you need to keep in mind primarily for pups, and that is common yard mulch. The first bout we checked for the usual such as parvo and as we were admitting two pups in the emergency clinic (IV?s for 2 days) another pup that had just shipped that morning had the same symptoms. We cleared that hurdle and a week later the exact same thing. So knowing it was environmental I began investigating with rubber gloves. I found every scat pile that I could locate and after inspecting each you would have thought that I owned very small horses due to grasses. I went to the mulch pile and it looked undisturbed at first glance but on the back side it looked as if it had been tilled. These learning experiences cost me over $2,200.00 and a very sleepless night with a pup that was touch and go for a period. So if you have pups fence that mulch pile!

Jim Cowgill
    Blue Moon Wachtelhunds