Common Foods That Are Toxic to Dogs.

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Losthwy, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Coy B

Coy B Refuge Member

I have been feeding my lab garlic powder on her food for 10 years A old dog trainer that won 92 straight field trials told me about it and said it helped keep fleas away. I am not here to tell you that there is any evedience that
    what he says is true but the 2 dogs I had before my lab lived to be 14 years old and garlic powder never hurt them and I have never found a flea on my dogs

2. doghunter

doghunter Refuge Member

Thank you for such a wonderful information and the replies shared regarding the food items to be given to our dogs. However, certain items have been consumed by my dog. Cakes are his favourite, thus he eats raisins, chocolates and nuts.

I have also fed him quite frequently boiled fish and egg flip. Anyways will be alert.

3. DUCKFLO

DUCKFLO Senior Refuge Member

Good to know..thanks

4. Rtwill78

Rtwill78 Senior Refuge Member

About 6 years ago, not knowing that grapes were a problem for dogs we tossed a grape to our CLF and alternated with our Jack Russell. Each had about 5 grapes (if not fewer) and within 5 hours time the lab was so sick and weak she couldn't lift her head to vomit. I sat up with her all night, being hours from the nearest emergency vet. About 6am she raised her head, and looked at me an hour later she stood and went to get a drink and by that evening you would have never known she'd been sick.
    The Jack Russell on the other hand didn't show any symptoms or anything. It was a scary night for sure but the girl recovered. Lesson learned.

5. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Rtwill78, glad to hear your dogs are OK! :tu

6. swish

swish Refuge Member

Lots of good info here, thanks.
    We had a scare in November, our black ate some home made playdough. My wife babysits and made some snow men out of the playdough. Jack ate 3 or 4 snowmen. He was swollen right up and drinking like crazy. I was timing him when he was peeing and the first time he peed for over a minute.
    Ended up at the vets and 2 bags of IV fluid.He pulled through that but we found out before Christmas he has bone cancer.:( Its tough losing a good dog,thanks again for the info.
    Dave

7. donroger

donroger New Member

My guess tobacco is on here because, since dogs don't have thumbs they tend to catch themselves on fire lighting their cigarettes and cigars.

Sorry, but I have an odd since of humor and had to share. Truthfully this was an interesting and informative thread.

8. PantherMartin

PantherMartin Elite Refuge Member

The fruit of an ornamental Bradford Pear tree is toxic. It's actually the seed. I've seen a very sick dog from this. I also found out it is very toxic to children. It's cyanide.

9. firstflight111

firstflight111 New Member

Gums with fake sugar in them will kill a dog also .

CUPPEDANDCOMMITED

10. Losthwy

Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

8. Xylitol- sweetener found in mints, candy and food.