Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Losthwy, Feb 5, 2007.
lots of iditerod dogs are fed raw salmon...
I am pretty surprised about the grapes. I just fed my wifes 3 lb chihuahua some grapes. We just had a 14 yr old chi die of a heart attack last week. 14 sounds old, but chis have a life expectancy of 15 to 20yrs. She was really healthy looking then started having seizures. She would be lying on her back or side with her tongue hanging out and limp as a dishcloth. She started gurgling in her lungs and I took her to the vet. He gave her diuretics and heart pills. She got better but one day she started breathing heavy again, and when my wife got home, she had a massive attack and died on my wifes lap. So nothing better happen to scooter. About the chocolate, a vet friend of mine told me dark chocolate is worse than milk chocolate. And that there isnt enough choc in a candy bar to hurt a dog, if not given to much. but dark choc is different. Beneficial to humans but dangerous for dogs. Pure choc is deadly. My daughters lab got into a 5lb bag of hersheys kisses one Christmas and ate it all. They rushed him to an emergency clinic. They told my daughter to keep an eye on him for the next few hours and sent them home. He lived about 6 more yrs till he was 14. I guess its best to just feed them kibble. Oh yea, unless its tainted and kills multitudes like it did several yrs ago.
One more thing. We had another chihuahua that was my buddy. Wouldnt let anyone touch me, not even my wife. We went to Tenn. one fall and since none of the stores in Pigeon Forge will let pets in, we left him and another chis in the car with the windows cracked in their kennels to go buy a couple of gifts for grandkids. When we got back, junior was in a coma. I thought heat stroke and went into a church to get water to put on him. When we took him to a local vet, he said his blood sugar had dropped to a dangerous level. He stayed at the vet till that night and died. Longest trip I've ever made with Junior packed in ice in his little bed for 13 hrs. The other one didnt have any problem. Junior weighed about 3 and 1/2 lbs. Putting water on him was the worst thing I could have done, but didnt know any better. I have learned later they will die in a hurry if their blood sugar dies, especially that little. You should carry honey with you if you are going to a completely different range of temp or altitude. The vet can give you something for that also. Put a little one on their gums and they will be good to go. I wish to goodness I had known that before my buddy died.
Raw fish and eggs? I have heard that raw fish should be avoided because of potential parasites, not because of being "toxic". I don't think there is going to be much troubles with these two if those form only part of the diet. Even humans will get into trouble if you eat only the same stuff always (single source of food).
Interesting, especially because a vet recently recommended to me 1 raw egg per week for my lab.
Raw eggs is surprising. I would think canine species such as foxes, coyotes and wolves would eat any eggs they came across in the wilderness!?!