Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Concern about 08 hatch...

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by h2ofwlr, May 14, 2008.

1. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

If this weather pattern does not change soon, we will have a repeat for 08. Major low pressure over Hudsons Bay, same as last spring. That means colder than normal temps for the Hudson Bay region of the Artic. And that means lower than normal hatch. It better get warm right quick in next week or we could be see a repeat. :(

2. Socal Waterfowler

Socal Waterfowler Elite Refuge Member

Looks like Canada is pretty warm right now. They'll need some rain here soon for the crops i'd suppose. I haven't checked Hudson Bay yet but lets pray for a better hatch than last year.

3. goose_caller

goose_caller Elite Refuge Member

Just because it is warm in western BC don't mean its warm 1500 miles to the NE......I am 1,000 miles south of Hudson and it has been lows in the 40's and highs in the 50's.....ice just went off some of our lakes to the north.

4. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

Dont you conservationists want to see the snow goose return back to a healthy breeding population. Or is just about how many birds will be in front of your gun barrel next season. Really makes no sense that you appluad yourself for killing 2000 in the spring but are really jazzed that the birds returned 5 fold in numbers the next fall.:rolleyes:

5. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

So there should be a poor hatch in all arctic breeding birds just so the snow goose population takes a hit????:confused:

6. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

That is a good point,, the conservation season is to thin the population down, and a cold spring would help keep the population from continuing to explode and hurting the tundra taking a chance at a huge population die off,,I see where your statement is coming from and I think it is valid.

But speaking as a non outfitter that makes no money from the extended spring season,, I do enjoy being able to chase them for six months!

7. duck scout

duck scout Elite Refuge Member

Being "jazzed up" has no impact on breeding success or anything else for that matter so who cares...

8. shooteminthelipss

shooteminthelipss Senior Refuge Member

It has been getting down to freezing every night and there are baby geese on every pond here in central north dakota/minnesota.

9. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

So Cal,
    Where the pacific flyway Snow geese come from, that area is near normal right now. Meaning N of Alberta and west to Wrangel Island above Russia. But out east of there, it is definately cold up there right now and has been most of this spring.

As for Bakers comment,
    Well actually your ignorance on how we hunt Adult S&Bs is showing through based upon your comment. You see the Adults follow the Juvis into the decoys. We spare the Juvis and concentrate on shooting the Adult breeders. As this is a more effective way to reduce the breeding population. Biologically, you are correct though that the bumper hatches of 05 and 06 did result in a spike of total goose numbers. But I believe most all sportsmen would like an average hatch, as we actually put a bigger dent into the adult #s as mentioned above. Where as this springs season with the poorest hatch in a very long time for the mid continent S&Bs last summer, the adult harvest was way down as a result. Talk to most any seasoned decoy hunter and they will tell you the Adults harvested this spring was way down as a result when compared to an average hatch year. Hunter mortality of S&Bs for 07/08 will likely show it was at least 1/3 less than previous years. I would not be surprised if it was 1/2 of normal actually. Yes hunting was that tough this spring.

10. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

I would like to believe that is true but in reality I don't hear or see a lot of hunters actually practicing shooting adult birds over decoying juvie birds. From the photos I see on the net and stories I am told most guys just shoot anything that comes in range.They usually don't have the patience to wait for the adults to get into range. Each to their own I like to shoot adult birds.
    I know it can be done I do that exact practice myself and will only try and shoot eagle heads or mature snows.

The hatch is what it is and most of us hunt them the same, if I had a dime for every time I read about people wanting more juvenile birds to decoy I would be a very rich guy.
    If they have a good hatch great if they don't great it will not change my time chasing them.
    God bless the snow goose!