Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Concern about 08 hatch...

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by h2ofwlr, May 14, 2008.

1. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

He isn't alone.:cool:

2. Goose Junkie

Goose Junkie Senior Refuge Member

Yes, you were hijacking the thread. Here's why:

1) You were defending baker's position knowing full well of his stated intention to do nothing more than stir up trouble.

2) You were calling into question the integrity of people who are concerned with snow goose breeding success and jumping to the conclusion that they are more concerned with their own shooting than that of the snow goose population. When presented with evidence to the contrary you didn't back down from that incorrect assessment. Did you even bother educating yourself by reading the EIS?

3) You called into question the honesty of another poster.

4) Finally, you offered that the CO is of little priority to you yet you seem to have lots of opinions on the subject. What's the difference between making a trip to Canada in the fall as opposed to Missouri or South Dakota in the spring? How would you feel if someone started jumping you about how unsporting it is to shoot birds in Canada in the fall if that person had never even been there? That's what you were doing.

And this was all in one response. I'm not even counting the others at this point.

3. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

i like shooting snows. i like shooting and eating specks.. snow geese are like rats.. we will not see and end to them baring a major change. or coyotes. you kill ten, 15 will take there place. its all about carring capacity. the only way, imho the snow pop will ever reach a suitable level is if the pop grows at a slow rate, eventaully causing the overall health of the birds to decline. this would bar a major die off but would seveirly reduce the birds ability to succesfully reproduce. then the pop would stabalize and then start the cycle all over again.

4. Band Man

Band Man Elite Refuge Member

Based on your assesment, anyone who has a different opinion than the author of the thread and chooses to be persistant about it is guilty of Hijacking a thread. People who get off topic can also be considerd thread hi jackers. People who question others motives are also considered hi jackers too.

Ill do you guys a favor here ill quit posting so you can get back on topic :rolleyes: Ill let the snow goose forum go back to a ghost town again, cuz in all honesty the only reason this thread is still going is the simple fact that there was some sort of a disagreement. The thread would have died 3 pages ago if there was nothing to disagree or talk about. So have at it

oh ya dont bother to comment on my post, we dont want to get off topic :fp

5. meathunter

meathunter Senior Refuge Member

I like specks too, but...

Snows put specks (and Canada's) to shame as far as their instincts and ability to avoid getting shot. When you have all 3 species in the decoys, the snows make the darks look just plain stupid.

Spring snow geese with an accumulation of fat are the best eating waterfowl, period.

6. meathunter

meathunter Senior Refuge Member

With 20 hours of daylight it doesn't take that much warmth to melt snow.

I wouldn't be to concerned about the weather up there right now, the snows aren't even there yet.

7. possumfoot

i wont disagree as far as the instincts go, however, snows, where i have harvested them,(tn, ky,ark,mo,sd) they are not good. i give them away. they taste like dirt. i dont care how you cook them they are nasty.but then again the only birds i will keep(not give away) are woody's, teal, and specks. whay eat trash if you dont have to? (let the bashing begain)!!!! i will, on occasion, eat canadas, pintail, widgion, and canvas backs. not a big fan of mallards or gadwals.every thing else is a trash duck as far as i care

8. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

Correct in that it is not only the air temp that melts snow. But air temp is a good indication of over all heating of the sun. I am not niave about the radiant effect the sun has, meaning it can be a 20 F air temp yet the sun can melt the snow. And all will agree a warmer air temp will do it faster. And as mentioned, a warm wind speeds up the process. God knows I have seen it happen many times here in MN, go from 2' of snow to bare ground in 2 weeks time.

Last year (like this spring thus far) there is a huge low pressure system sitting over Hudson Bay. Low pressure = clouds, clouds = no sun to melt snow. ding ding ding. There is also a H igh pressure over upper western CA, just like last year, this pulls the warmth north. That is why upper AB has been so warm thus far this spring, and the warm has gone north, thus explaining the warm temps in AK and the artic N of AB. The Pacific flyway Snows should have a good start to nesting conditions this spring (just like a year ago).

The bottom line is that it had better melt in the next 2 weeks in the prime breeding grounds of the mid contenent Snows so there is barren ground and the sedges sprout or the nesting will be a late start. It definately will not be an early spring up there in the Northern Hudson Bay and high artic region.

As for the continued pot stirring by certain members detracting from the original topic of this thread, it is getting really old. Grow the hell up. :fp

9. possumfoot

looks like you were right.:z

10. possumfoot

i cant beleive i just posted that:eek: