Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Conditions across the praire / parkland areas?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by 870, Mar 20, 2016.

1. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

In central Alberta we have had a very dry warm winter. There is no snow now and there is virtually no run off or sheetwater. The only water around now is carryover from last fall and it is still frozen. Paired up canadas starting showing up around March 1, but I haven't seen any ducks or artic geese yet.

Looks like it could be a pretty dismal year for local duck production unless we get some significant moisture with runoff in the next month.

What does it look in other parts of the parries and parklands now? Are you just as dry and snow free?

2. whiskyjack

whiskyjack Refuge Member

Incredibly dry here in SE Alberta. We had virtually no snow through the winter. Minimal rain last year. The wetlands I normally hunt were dry or less than half full. Even places like Tilley B Res. were low. The S. Sask. River is very low, has been since last fall.
    Interestingly we had more Canada geese over winter here than usual due to the warm weather. I even saw the occ. duck; something I had not seen in the 15 years I have lived here. There was plenty of feed in the fields in the area due to no snow cover so the birds did very well in that department.
    Most of the Canada's have migrated except the several hundred local birds. They have paired up already. Have seen a few mallards in full colour on a small pond here in town. No hens, just drakes....
    I heard a huge flock of Snows fly over about 30 mins west of Med Hat 2 weeks ago, three days before the season opened. They were high up not stopping. Not sure where they went if you haven't seen any in the Parkland area yet.

3. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Dry here in Manitoba too, although good for the wetlands. In my neck of the woods they need a draw down to help reseed the ponds with vegetation.

4. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Throw the dakotas into that group as well. Getting just enough rain to help a touch to green us up and hopefully knock down the fire danger but not even remotely close to getting any sort of raising of the potholes let alone runoff. Hell we can't even make it muddy for more then a couple hours. We have enough water to churn out a pretty big flight this year but renesting will be reduced and we will be screwed for next year if we don't pick it up in the coming months.

5. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

Any improvements or updates? Minnesota has had some great rains recently and is in good shape, not that we produce ducks anymore. ;)

6. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Central Alberta is still warm and dry. The snow / precip that hit the southern prairies did not reach up here. Only water is holdover water from last fall and it is going down as I write this.

Our operation has over 3000 acres seeded so far. (about 50% done) Normally by May 1, we just thinking of starting seeding. Surprisingly, the soil moisture is not that bad on the conservation tillage ground (one pass seeding into last years stubble). Timely and abundant rains could still fill the sloughs if ever comes.

7. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

Saskatchewan is dry & farmers are going full tilt.

8. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

Looks like some rain... any help?

9. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Much of Alberta has gotten some rain in the past week, from 1- 5". Our area has had 3- 4". Great for crops and pastures, put some water back into sloughs that were drying up in previous couple weeks.

Unfortunately Fort McMurray did not get much rain, seems like the fire is creating its own weather now.

10. fowlogic

fowlogic Senior Refuge Member

Thank you 870. That's good news except for Fort McMurray. Big fires make their own weather. Those of us that live in the west know that only too well. Looks to be another very hot and dangerous summer coming up.