Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Conditions across the praire / parkland areas?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by 870, Mar 20, 2016.

1. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Northern Alberta has been getting more rain lately. Fort Mc fire is now contained, residents have been moving back in now since June 1 and fire bans have been lifted.

Overall wetland conditions across central Alberta would have to be considered as fair now with pockets of good and poor mixed in here and there according to where the heavy showers hit or missed. Looks like with the improved conditions there has been a significant nesting effort by the local ducks,,, seeing very good numbers of lone drakes in areas with good habitat.

Crops, pastures and hay fields are doing very well,,, a far cry from what it looked like a month ago,,, if the showers continue, maybe the hay mowers can be delayed long enough to allow the new nests to hatch.:pra

2. whiskyjack

whiskyjack Refuge Member

Things are looking better here in SE Alberta after the rains we have had the last few weeks. Probably too late for nesting but as long as things the way they are or we get a bit more rain we should be ok going into the fall.

3. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

Wet, wet, wet here. Lots of rain in the last month. Lots of pairs still around here in June. If there were still any nests with eggs I'll bet they have been flooded out the last week.

I did see a BWT hen with 6 fuzzy ducklings last night. Cant be more than a week old....

4. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

It looks like non-stop rain in Canada. Brood survival should be very high this year up there.

5. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Our area continues to get rain. Locally we have received from 10 - 16" since May 20. Since the end of June there has been from 5- 8 inches of rain in our area. Sloughs are full, there is standing water in the low spots in many fields and lake levels are improving.

All this rain continues to keep most of the mowers out of the hayfields which will allow late nests to hatch. Pastures, crop and hayfields are very lush and green.

The numbers of lone drakes is very good as well hopefully indicating a strong nesting effort by the hens.

I continue to see newly hatched clutches each day. Brood water is in excellent shape being flooded well into and beyond the grassy margins.
    This should favour hatchling survival from predators.

Hard to believe that on May 19, ducks and water were very scarce. In my 60 years of living in this country, I have never seen such a quick dramatic turn around in habitat conditions and waterfowl numbers!!!!

greenheadIL likes this.
  6. fowlogic

fowlogic Senior Refuge Member

870, What part of Alberta are you in? Apparently most of the Canadian ducks that wing through my area are from the S.E. part of your province. It is often dry. Unfortunately.

7. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

fowlogic,,,, we are in east central Alberta. Habitat conditions have improved significantly in a diagonal band from SE Alberta (where I have heard spring/ early summer accumulations in 6 - 10" range) upwards to the Peace Country. The sw part of the province hasn't seen as much rain yet.

A lot of ducks did overfly the northern prairies into the parkland / boreal regions which have seen much improved conditions with all the rain, which seems to be encouraging a strong late nesting effort in these areas. Many of those ducks will be your ducks come fall. I guess the point is that up until late May, it looked like 2106 would be wreck for waterfowl production, but the rains appear to have come in time to salvage the year as far duck production goes. Certainly the northern boreal and arctic ducks and geese are going to find ample roosting water during the fall migration now.

8. fowlogic

fowlogic Senior Refuge Member

Thanks 870. Hopefully the farmers will be alright.

9. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

any thing on eastern sask through western manitoba?

specifically saskatoon to winnipeg and south.

10. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Just finished our first aerial brood survey in Alberta's north, seeing good numbers of Ringneck broods, Bufflehead, mallards and some teal species. Most mallard broods are in the 2B age class, while the divers are in the 1A - 1B age class. If that means any thing to anyone. Expect to see more diver broods on our next survey and a wider variety of puddle duck broods.

grnhd likes this.