Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Conditions across the praire / parkland areas?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by 870, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Good to hear about the ringneck/ringbill/blackjack numbers! They are our "bread and butter" duck way down here. Not sure if our ringnecks are from Manitoba and/or Alberta? Send them on down!

2. fowlogic

fowlogic Senior Refuge Member

Before I moved to Idaho in the early 90's we had out share of local Ring-Necked ducks in west central Minnesota. They were quite tasty when they fed in the wild rice lakes and ponds. They'd even tip up to feed like puddlers. Handsome birds also.

3. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Chris, I was unaware that aerial brood counts were actually done,,, I had thought that once the May pond and breeding population counts were done, that was it. Is there anywhere where the brood counts are posted online? Are brood counts done over all the different regions and strata? And I'm curious, who pays for the brood counts?

4. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Oh I should have indicated, the aerial study we are doing isn't part of the one conducted by the US Fish & Wildlife and CWS. It's a study being conducted by Ducks Unlimited Canada to see in part how development in the north is affecting breeding waterfowl. Our sample size is fairly small compared to to overall size of the area. But it does give us a pretty good idea of what is going on. The results aren't posted online since the study is still ongoing. I really can't say if there are more or less birds this year since each time we fly we are seeing a couple thousand birds and they are really spread out. I don't crunch the numbers, I simply help gather the data in the field.

5. fowlogic

fowlogic Senior Refuge Member

In my post above, I meant to type 'our' share, not 'out' share! I guess I can't edit after the fact.

6. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Chris, that makes sense now. Sounds like a interesting project.

7. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

anyone able to help with the question? did this area also receive the boost from recent rains?

8. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

From the news reports, that area has had lots of rain as well, there has been significant flooding around Carrot River and Estevan. There really isn't anywhere in western Canada that hasn't been getting rain in the past couple months. Even SW Alberta got a good shot of rain late last week.

9. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Yes, southern Manitoba is also very wet, we keep getting hit by rain. The same can be said for all the Prairie provinces.

10. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

excellent!! thanks guys.