Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Conditions across the praire / parkland areas?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by 870, Mar 20, 2016.

1. MDUXSRLO

MDUXSRLO Refuge Member

How about now? Every time I look at the radar it looks like you guys are getting flooding type of storms.

2. goose jerky

goose jerky Elite Refuge Member

I have been wondering the same thing. I check the Radar couple times a day and it seems for last month and half you guys have been getting rain there about everyday.

3. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Scattered thunderstorms and rains continue across most of Western Canada. Most days bands of showers are moving somewhere through the prairie provinces. Some areas have seen very significant rainfall amounts. From recent personal travels through central and southern Alberta and reports from SW Sask , it appears as though rainfall amounts have been in the 10 - 25 inch since May 20 across the region.

Since it was so dry prior to the rains, the first 10 inches were needed to replenish the soil moisture deficit. As a result there are pockets like SW Alberta that haven't seen the sloughs fill up as much as other areas where the sloughs are full and overflowing.

Even within local areas there are have been wide variations in local amounts due the spotty nature of heavy downpours and hail storms. Our local area is from 16- 22" since May 20. We seem to get some kind of rain every couple days which is making haying very difficult. Most of the hay has yet to be cut. This late hay cut bodes well for late nesting ducks, but diseases in the crops are starting to take their toll, such as the peas (root rot and blight / brown spot) are shutting down prematurely and are not filling to their potential.

If you happen to be in the 20 inch plus range, there is a lot of flooded crop and in some cases significant hail damage. Friends of ours from Leader SK (where they got 25") have to abandon their lentil crops this year.

Still most farmers are grateful for the rain as generally most crops are doing much better than if it had stayed dry which would have a total wipeout this year. If this wet pattern continues into Sept, harvesting will become very challenging and getting out with decoy trailers into the field will become an issue as well in certain areas.

At any rate the local ducks have certainly responded to all this rainfall and abundant lush cover,,, I am still seeing recently hatched broods showing up!

molliesmaster likes this.
  4. goose jerky

goose jerky Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the update:tu

5. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

Awesome update. Thanks!