Confederate Monument

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by takemrarely, Aug 28, 2017.

1. takemrarely

takemrarely Elite Refuge Member

Just read where a monument to the "Unknown Confederate Soldier" was unveiled in Alabama. Group who did it says it was ordered.over a year ago. NAACP says it is racist.

I have two days in the pool to see how quickly it is vandalized.

2. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

Where will it be located? A cemetery?

3. takemrarely

takemrarely Elite Refuge Member

My mistake....reported on MSNBC....apologies....will be on private land near Brantley

4. pintail2222

I don't know how anybody could have a problem w/ the monuments being moved in to museums or cemeteries.

5. stump

stump Elite Refuge Member

Gotta say, do not see a lot of protest about confederate statues in museums. Bad outside, but ok when inside?

6. pintail2222

They are of historical significance. Like it or not - it is our history. A city may decide that a Civil War monument belongs in a cemetery.

7. stump

stump Elite Refuge Member

Agreed.
    Trying to wrap my head around protests in the parks (where there are statues) and no protests in museums and cemeteries (where there are also statues)

Why the difference.... could be area for enough protesters... but, cemeteries are pretty big open area, museums have pretty good area inside and around the building.
    Or do they just want a nice walk in the park for the fresh air?

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Even stranger is that you are still trying to wrap your head around something that is obviously illogical and senseless.

9. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Because outside makes it an active reminder of oppression and institutional racism. It is the City's/County's/State's tacit approval of racism.

Inside makes it of historical significance...where its appropriateness can be adequately explored in a safe environment.

Edit to add: Two things...1. inside also means nobody looks at it unless they want to., and 2. I managed to write this with a straight face.

10. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Frankly, though, I am truly surprised that the vandalism is so socially acceptable. Since Congress passed the law to treat Confederate soldiers as US soldiers, defacing a monument to Lee or Forrest or Jackson is the same as defacing a statue of Grant, Pershing, MacArthur, etc.

If a city wishes to take one down that is their property, I can see it, but only after a vote and with the idea that it will be preserved somehow, some place.