Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Conservation or Activism.. this may cause a stir

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Smackdown 870, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

https://whyy.org/articles/decades-fight-stop-refinery-delaware-wild-lands-protects-30000-acres/

So I have known about them since I was a small boy and never thought about it. This past year my wife asked me why don't you duck hunt in Delaware much? I said to her well its exceptionally hard to find a good blind for rent these days. I explained how over the years the state has bought up lots of the marsh and the rest is rented by people that don't give them up or there is waiting list to get on. I also said that some is owned by these people. I started thinking I have never heard of people getting to hunt their land. So thinking now between the marsh they own and the state... just how much is left? I know some hunt public marshes but myself have no patients for it as I did in my younger days. Here is my thoughts if you have a non-profit that is "Protecting" wildlands and wetlands and not letting people hunt... is it conservation or the smart sneaky way of taking away resources? ..... Food for thought...

Also Delaware is thinking of leasing public property for deer hunting leases in Sussex county.

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Aren't the waterways public? How far from their land, out in the water do you have to be to hunt? Do you need to access their land to launch a boat or are there alternatives?

3. Smackdown 870

Most of the ones I know are freshwater marshes that have no access... I am pretty sure in Delaware its not legal to pull up next to the bank unless your on the Upper Delaware river or farther than 1200 feet or something like that. The way I read it they have taken 30,000 acres of land that could have been used for some sort of hunting.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't a lot of the lands under DWL currently part of WMAs in DE or at least border them?

DE has about the best public system on the east coast, in part because size allows for a few central day-of lottery draws. You also have a ton of WMA land as a percentage of the whole state and per cap.

I was reading about the deer lease deal, while it sounds like details are still being worked out, it may only be impacting land that already sees little use? Admittedly I'm not that familiar with it.

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Keep reading because what I can tell by reading through DWL site is that much of the public opportunity in DE (Ted Harvey, Cedar Swamp, Augustine) is because of DWL not inspite of it.

You do raise a good question though regarding what is proper use of "conserved land". I think it very much depends on how the land is acquired and the overall balance that the state/county/muni applies in creating passive and active use.

6. Smackdown 870

Long before I was around.... Oddly enough what most people don't know is that there are spots that are privately owned smack dab in the middle of Delaware Public hunting areas. My father is part owner of a small piece of ground in Little Creek WMA. He has had it since the 60's. I find it funny that its behind the gated area... I wonder if I could get a key to access it anytime I wanted....I would love to see the wardens face if we wanted to put a trailer on it

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I don't think the law would let them shut you out of the private land just because they own the surrounding land. If you are an heir to the private land you are entitled to access.

8. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

As far as hunting, public waters up to the high water which you can hunt from anchor. Now if their is a duck blind on the shore line you can't hunt with in 500 yards of it. Now it gets worse if the blind is not brushed or if their is just 1 post and 1 piece of rotten plywood left on it that counts too and 500 yard rule stands. Who would have an issue with a active blind that's brushed but a old rotten blind that's abandoned! You guys complain about MD., no different here, in fact MD only 250 yards and DE is 500 yards! Now you guys know me with what we have done in MD over the years with PRWA & MDWFA. I searched DE regs if that 500 yard rule exists and never could find it. So its been the rule or local condition in DE for more that 50/60 years if not longer.

I live 2 minutes from a boat ramp @ the head of Love Creek behind Rehoboth Bay with high hopes of duck hunting. So with the local conditions just gave up and sold my boat blind.

DE only has 17,000 licensed hunters, I tried to reach out to DNREC wildlife folks like our MD DNR guys/gals that post here on the Fuge. DNREC Wildlife will not take a phone call much less call you back so wasn't able to seek regulation questions to hunt legally. You would think DNREC would be open to ideas to create hunting opportunity and license sales. I have talked to many DE transplants here that also gave up trying to hunt like myself. You guys in MD have so much better opportunity than DE. MD DNR WH does 1000% better job compared to DE 1% and I know the difference.

So instead of buying a DE hunting license spend it on MD out of State license and feel better knowing I'm getting my monies worth.

Now I know why over the years on the Fuge why the DE guys never got involved with DNREC like we had done with MD DNR.

9. Smackdown 870

Yep ..Maryland is 1000% better than Delaware. That is why I never complained about staking process.. Hell I wish Delaware had that in place.

10. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

My brother used to have access to private land on the lower shore not far from the VA line that required access through public land. their property had access through a shared gate and lane at each of the public parking lots and had separate locks to get back to their property. I am sure many folks parking in the public parking lots prolly wondered what the heck was going on when they showed up and unlocked the gates and drove back not knowing there was private land in the back. I am sure some folks on here may know of the public property and have hunted it. was a real nice parcel of land on the water with good waterfowl, deer and turkey hunting. the folks hunting public always pushed the deer out of the woods onto their property along the marsh.