Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Contacting Landowners

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Spencer5100, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I brought my 12, just in case. And, that is where it stayed, in its' case. 20ga shooting 4's and 3's.

2. gdluck

gdluck Elite Refuge Member

Where the heck you hunting and why are they swathing? I have seen only 2 swathed fields in all the years I've been going.

3. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

There are plenty of swathed fields during wet years

4. whiskyjack

whiskyjack Refuge Member

Not sure where in Alberta you are headed but here in the southern portion of Alberta it is very dry. I would expect to walk into every field you want to hunt this year. Farmers live in fear of a prairie fire. If you haven't seen one, a prairie fire is something you will not soon forget.

As a local hunter, I hunt mostly water, small sloughs and marshes as well as stock ponds when the cattle aren't around. I also enjoy wandering along the edges of the hundreds of irrigation canals nearby, jumping ducks as I go. Great fun indeed. On the smaller water I use 1-3 dozen decoys.

Most of the roost water around here is located on the big rivers so I have no issue hunting over water. There are a couple of exceptions. Geese on the other hand, I hunt in the fields, later in the season after the ducks are sun tanning down South.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

A great post from a guy who would know. :tu

whiskyjack likes this.
  6. whiskyjack

whiskyjack Refuge Member

Was just talking to my son's father in law a couple days ago. He farms nearby, he said when they get to harvesting this Fall, every vehicle on the land will have FF gear on board. They are deeply concerned this year. I can't say as I blame him. My employment includes coordinating grass fire FF efforts. Daily it seems of late. Until today, we hadn't seen a spit of rain for months. Gonna dry out quickly though.
    Come on up guys, just be prepped to walk-in in Southern Alberta. The sloughs are full of water still, have seen plenty of birds on them including decent sized broods.

7. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

Whiskyjack
    Thank you for the update.

whiskyjack likes this.
  8. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

Whisky,
    I will be roughly 2 hours North of you. After looking at the Alberta Crop Report, it seems as though soil moisture levels in that area are about average, although when I chatted with a gal at the Fish and Wildlife office in the town that I will be using as base camp yesterday, she said that they have basically been faced with a drought so I am wondering if I need to take the crop reports with a grain of salt? Or, are soil moisture levels more a result of rain last winter/ early spring? Excuse my ignorance, doing my best to get up to speed on the farming practices up there. It's wet wet wet dairy country down here so I am rather unfamiliar with the ins and outs of the cereal grains and their associated farms.

9. whiskyjack

whiskyjack Refuge Member

I believe I have an idea where you are headed. They have had a bit more rain up there this week than we have. Storm patterns tend to move West to East from the Rockies directly across Central Alberta. It is weird watching storms on the radar, cool stuff trying to track them. (I do it for fun, not work.)
    The soil is likely reading that way due to the recent rains they had but officially there is a serious drought in much of Alberta this Summer. If you are talking to the F&W folks there soon, ask them for the contact info of the County and or Provincial Agrologist. Both would be even better! Or, if you would like, PM me the town you are hunting near and I might be able to dig up the contact info and PM it back to you.
    A great website to check out is www.wildfire.alberta.ca. There should a fire hazard index map that will be helpful.
    Another one is www.cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca This is the one we use where I work. An excellent resource!
    Jeff

10. Cinch

Cinch Senior Refuge Member

For any Americans heading up to Canada this year y'all better start paying attention to NAFTA negotiations which start at the end of this month. If Trump goes after CDN beef like we're starting to hear rumours of through the SK Cattlemen's Assoc. grass fires or pothole hunting will be the least of your concerns...