Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Contacting Landowners

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Spencer5100, Jul 3, 2017.

1. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

FWIW,,,there are "Jeckyl and Hyde" habitat conditions in Alberta this year. Central Alberta (parkland region) and northern Alberta are in much better shape than southern Alberta prairies this year. Farmers in many areas struggled to get the remains of last years crops off and get this years crops seeded. With the delayed seeding it will likely be a later harvest meaning limited opportunities for field hunts in early Sept.

As far as hunting over water, hunting ducks over smaller pothole sloughs ,,,(typically day roosts in or near feeding fields),,, is quite acceptable and no one would give you a hard time about it.

Shooting over or near a roost that harbours staging geese is frowned upon by most avid goose hunters.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. CSUguy

CSUguy Senior Refuge Member

It's unfortunate that some let politics, that none of us control, rise above the personal relationships and international friendships we have developed over the years. Tit for tat and we all lose. Should all Americans give every single Canadian the cold shoulder in Arizona and Florida this winter because the Canadian government gave a terrorist $8,000,000 USD after he killed an American? https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4198620

I certainly hope that's not the case in Canada this fall, or the USA this winter.

3. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Ouch,,,,!!!

I am as embarrassed as I am outraged by the payout,,, you won't find much support for Trudeau and the liberals in Western Canada on this one,,, but in comparison how many of the "American Silent Majority" support Trump's NAFTA stand?

As morally outrageous as the $10,000,000 CAD payout is, it will have very little economic effect on the visiting hunters or Canadian farmers for that matter. USA trade protectionism would have a big negative effect on Canadian farmers bottom line.

I do agree that we shouldn't let politics get in the way of personal relationships and international friendships and I really hope it doesn't come to that,,, but the two issues are not an apples to apples comparison.

And for what it's worth, I believe the best way to get your message across is to "Win Friends and Influence People" ,,,, and not by alienating or coercing them!!!

4. CSUguy

You've reiterated my point well. Don't bring politics into hunting! There's never going to be and apples-to-apples argument, so nobody will win in the end. It's too bad that it was brought up in this thread in the first place. I'll be in SK again this fall, spending my money on local food, beer, hotel, licenses, gas, coffee, VLT ;-) , etc. If every farmer said 'no hunting you damn American' to me this fall I'd still have a hell of a time at the hotel/bar drinking Caesars & Pilsners and BSing with the locals. That's more fun than the hunting most evenings!

Just as many Canadians love Florida and Arizona in the winter, a handful of die-hard Americans love SK and AB in the fall. We couldn't care any less about politics.

*I remember taking that Dale Carnegie course just after graduating college.

5. Cinch

Cinch Senior Refuge Member

Don't get hurt when information is asked for then supplied (it's not fake news or opinion). Some first time guys are asking about issues they may face and this is a real issue that may become a problem - so stop with the blah blah blah I spend $$$ in SK/AB/MB blah blah blah we're going to punish CDN snowbirds blah blah blah Canada supports terrorists we all heard it last time when BSE closed the border to CDN beef and some NR hunters had real difficulties accessing CDN land...

6. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

Appreciate the transparency. That being said, I have already started calling and networking with farmers up there and they have been nothing but warm and friendly. All of them have told me to call them as I get closer to my trip and they will let me know where they have been seeing birds-- and almost all of them are cow farmers. Perhaps they are as ignorant as I was to this prior to you pointing it out, Cinch. Perhaps they don't believe it is actually going to happen. Perhaps they are willing to overlook it because I have gone out of my way to introduce myself in advance and made a good impression. I really have no idea. Although most of the members of this forum do not share my views, the vast majority of the policies of the Trump administration are in no ways reflective of my personal beliefs. I hope that sharing that with any farmers who may resent me as an American due to another beef ban or something of the sort will help. I'm certainly not going to cancel my trip out of the fear that it won't.

7. CSUguy

Text from SK farmer today, "just bring me some good bananas for Thanksgiving! We'll eat the beef up here so we dont have to worry about exporting it. problem solved"
    :l

8. Neckband4

Neckband4 Senior Refuge Member

Great thread. Spencer, you've done your homework. Just go up there, use your intel and have a good time. It will all come together, believe me. I've never seen anybody do so much homework. I appreciate your anal retentiveness but stop fretting. You'll be good. I went through the same thing on my first trips to Canada and it all worked out. The best thing about the trips were the friendliness of the people up there.

9. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the encouragement, Neckband. I'll do my best to chill out, but no promises. I'm the kind of person that likes to have a plan :)

DaPutts likes this.
  10. Cinch

Cinch Senior Refuge Member

I know all too well about government not representing my views (nor the views of most Canadians) - otherwise Omar Khadr would have got a bullet in the head not $10M.

As a point of clarification CDN farmers/ranchers don't resent American hunters just stupid protectionist policy.

CSUguy and Spencer5100 like this.