Continuous Chest Compressions

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, May 11, 2017.

1. Brushbeater

Brushbeater Senior Refuge Member

i don't disagree with you on the financial aspects you quoted. Look at your amioderon vs lidocaine and how ACLS favored one over the other due to funding issues, or the resources that it takes when I call into the hospital and advise that I'm bringing in a cpr in progress.. I speak from my medical experience as well. If certain types of "code" shouldn't be transported to the hospital that needs to be decided by the local protocol set forth by the local medical director. Not a blanket statement saying that you only have a 0-1% survivability post out of hospital cpr.( haven't seen that study) if we want to talk health care issues that's a much bigger problem. I think the pt that gets txp to the emergency room because they can't sleep, toe hurts is more of the system impact problem. My main point is I don't want someone to think " na this cpr won't help, I will pass on trying"

Silver Wings likes this.
  2. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

Agree :tu

I've got over 1000 runs that included CPR and your 99% figure is close to the figure in my head...I never kept track. A few good saves stand out...probably because they were far and few between.

Call'em N likes this.
  3. Brushbeater

I pulled that article just as an example. Seattle has a very progressive ems system and they do very well with survivability rates in part to their ems director and willingness to try beyond standard tactics... i don't disagree with the minimal survivability rates. I know it's true as well from being in this line of work also( 17 years).I don't want the general public to be discouraged from attempting based off that original statement H2O made. If the medics decide not to txp that's fine and it's made off their medical training as well as the local medical authority protocol

Call'em N likes this.
  4. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

It should be decided by the patient. The public needs to be educated about what they don't want to hear and decide what they want to be done including being stuck with the bill.

Living wills are great things as are dnr and dni decisions by the general public.

5. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

I think that's over simplifying it, but it's a piece of the puzzle for sure. As far as first responders go, I think lawyers and politicians are the other two side of the triangle. Politicians don't want to face constituents crying that 90 y/o Grandma Millie still had a lot of life to live, but the city's Fire/EMS provider denied her that chance. Lawyers are foaming at the mouth to represent Millie's family and get into those deep pockets...it's never the one thing.

6. Brushbeater

Agreed I will take direction from a patients wishes via dnr, living will, polst etc any day of the week...

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

For those of you who do this kinda stuff a lot (I am no longer CPR/CLS certified)... I heard a rumor you weren't supposed to give mouth to mouth anymore. Only compressions. @Brushbeater had mentioned first responders doing a 30:2, is why I ask. Understand he is probably talking about with the squeeze bag vice M2M.

8. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Compressions only is the new gig.

Call'em N likes this.
  9. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

10. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

Good idea. But when they guy falls out on the sidewalk outside Tractor Supply who's going to know where to find his documents?