Continuous Chest Compressions

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, May 11, 2017.

1. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Do you know how many arse holes wore those "live strong" bracelets that cheater sold?

You don't think people should be educated to wear something like this on their wrists?

It just takes somebody famous to make the stupid masses do something.

Why not have obummer suggest it?

2. Brushbeater

Brushbeater Senior Refuge Member

They have medical bracelets as well as necklaces..... I have run across a few that say dnr.
    Stevena, yes only compression is taught for the general public for the reasons that I listed in my previous post. No mouth to mouth anymore, not even for the first responder. BVM is used and the 30:2 was just an example I was using. If the pt is intubated then it changes again to a different compression ration vs ventilations.
    The biggest thing is early compressions with minimal interruption and early defibrillation if appropriate.

3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like the luck of someone that shoots a banded bird on their first hunt while their buddies are 0-fer.

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

A POLST document is pretty cut and dry. We just updated my dad's POLST. I didn't know that there were DNR bracelets and necklaces as well.

5. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

EMS, survivors meet: ‘Without them I wouldn’t be here’
    BY KATHERINE BURGESS

kburgess@wichitaeagle.com

Kris Stehlik, 60, finally had the chance to say thank you to some of the men who saved her life when her heart stopped last year.

For Luke Ratzlaff and Binh Chung, the two Sedgwick County Emergency Medical Service paramedics who responded when Stehlik went into cardiac arrest, meeting a former cardiac arrest patient was a rare occurrence.

“I didn’t know what to say when I came up to you,” Ratzlaff said once he’d recovered from being tongue-tied.

“I had all the saying to do,” Stehlik replied. “Thank you.”

About 12 survivors of sudden cardiac arrest were reunited with the EMS paramedics, firefighters and dispatchers who had a role in their survival at a Sedgwick County EMS event Wednesday.

The Sedgwick County EMS was also honored with the Mission Lifeline award from the American Heart Association.

Stehlik was at work when she collapsed on June 13, 2016. Her coworkers did CPR on her for 20 minutes before EMS arrived. When EMS arrived, they called her sister, asking if they should continue trying to resuscitate her. Her sister said yes, so they cooled her temperature using induced hypothermia, trying to reduce damage to her brain. Stehlik later woke from a coma.

When Stehlik met Chung and Ratzlaff, she asked them about the day they responded to the call – and whether they thought she was gone for good.

“You never know until it’s over,” Ratzlaff said. “It’s worth the fight.”

The three posed for a photo along with Mason Noll, Stehlik’s 8-year-old grandson, before the two paramedics gave Mason a tour of an ambulance.

“It’s very eye-opening, very heartwarming to know we made a difference in someone’s life,” Chung said.

“Without them I wouldn’t be here,” Stehlik said.

For others, it wasn’t the first time reuniting with the first responders who saved them.

Mark Heinz, 59, lives in Valley Center, where he knows the firefighters who have twice responded when he has gone into cardiac arrest.

Heinz had his first heart attack in 2008. Later, he got a defibrillator and pacemaker. That pacemaker stopped working on Thanksgiving 2015. Heinz’s son, a Marine, did CPR until the Valley Center Fire Department arrived.

“They say that was pretty much a miracle that they brought Mark back at that point with no brain damage and able to live a normal life,” said Kris Heinz, Mark’s wife.

On Feb. 10, Heinz had another attack and also survived.

Fire Lt. Chad Tormey and firefighter Josh Tormey, cousins, were both on the Thanksgiving call.

Today, they see Heinz around town and know that they played a role in saving his life.

“There’s really no way to describe it,” Josh Tormey said. “You’ve run this type of thing a hundred times and the outcome is different every time.”

“This was just the perfect outcome,” Chad Tormey added.

Katherine Burgess: 316-268-6400, @KathsBurgess

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article152492689.html#storylink=cpy

6. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Sorry I had to bring this up but I just had a code save a couple hours ago. Pretty pumped about it. For his family it was worth the effort. Early CPR and early defibrillation.

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

:clap

8. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Amazing !!!!!!!
    Awesome job man.
    Thank you.:bow:clap:bow:clap:bow:clap:tu

9. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

For the tally sheet, I had to do CPR once, on the subway. No pulse as confirmed by the doctor first to the patient, he called in for help to do two-person CPR. On my 2nd breath he became responsive. So while I agree with the compressions only approach, breath can be, in some situations, crucial.

10. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Congratulations. :tu