Continuous Chest Compressions

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, May 11, 2017.

1. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

I had never seen anybody go from pulseless and apenic to talking in 10 minutes. He was joking when i helped load him in the ambulance, and they say he joked clear to the cath lab. He has no memory of what happened but that's probably good. CPR had been started just seconds before my arrival so I got the AED out and delivered the first shock then took over compressions. Makes me want to get my EMT license back.

The cardiologist told him if it would've happened at home and not at work he wouldn't have survived. We were on the last day of our cycle before going on six days off. From the amount of folks texting and calling me it's gonna be a circus Monday.

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I just did the CPR/level C course up here in Canada two weeks ago. We use 30 compressions and 2 breaths as our standard, but in cases where you cannot do the breaths, then we do straight compressions. Just pick a song in your head that has the right beat to it, and compress on each beat. (Our instructor had a strange sense of humor and would sing "Another one bites the dust", which has the requisite bpm). I carry a little velcro zip pouch that contains a pair of nitrile gloves and a one-way breathing mask. Hope I never have to use it, but would not hesitate. Part of our training involved AED use and setup, and control of the situation.

Everyone should take a day and get trained on CPR/AED and general first aid. You may save someone's life with it.

3. riversledder

riversledder Elite Refuge Member

OK Ill throw my 2 cents in here. I have been a FF/medic for almost 34 years now. Over most of my career we had a couple of code saves where these Pts went home and went on to live a normal life. BUT that said in the last 3 years we started doing a TEAM pit crew type high performance CPR. Every person has a predetermined job and we now get more help. We send 2 ALS engine companies as well as a medic unit. HUGE emphasis on non stop compression's and quality compression's. Followed by advanced care ( Cardio-version and meds as needed. ) I will say I was skeptical at first because we have seen a lot of changes in care over the years. Many didnt make a huge difference. THIS has made a difference !!!!!!! In the 3 years my Eng co crew and I have had 5 confirmed saves. Real saves that went home under their own power and back to their lives. The first one after our new CPR model went into effect was a fella who went cardiac arrest on bed. Wife did compression's until we got there. We revived him from pulse-less and not breathing and in a lethal heart rhythm. 9 days later he sat in our station and had coffee with us. And our dept receives emails monthly about all our other crews with saves!! IT works and does save many lives folks!!! Learn the new CPR it may save a life.

4. thatguy2

My brother had another save 2 weeks ago. It was only 2 blocks from their station and a bystander was doing continuous compressions prior to arrival. The individual is a well known member of the community and is telling folks that it was like he took a nap on Tuesday afternoon and woke up in a hospital 90 miles away Wednesday evening. This stuff is working.

sdkidaho likes this.
  5. cast&blast

cast&blast Senior Refuge Member

This thread has good information and a great save story. :tu For the record ,if any you guys ever see me fall out, please do chest compressions!

6. thatguy2

The gentleman we resuscitated came back to work 3 weeks later. The company magazine ran an article about it. They surprised myself and 2 other coworkers with an award ceremony. They had my wife attend as well.
    They told the gentleman if it would've happened 2 hours later when he was at home he would not have survived. Good stuff is coming from this. We are changing in plant responses and a lot more people are interested in learning CPR.

hobbydog likes this.
  7. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

To be the recipient of genuine gratitude is a really great thing. Congratulations. You deserve it.