Cooking geese

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by OneShotBandit, Nov 22, 2013.

1. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

Guys (or Gals), I have some goose breasts and am wondering how to cook them. Do you all cook them rare, med-rare, etc.? I was thinking about slicing them, wrap w/a piece of bacon & onion and broil them to med-rare like I do my ducks. Is this a good idea? FWIW I really don't want to make jerky. Thanks!

2. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

in a blind watching the specks and sprig work
    Rare. Cook them in a pan, or on the BBQ. Make a rich brown sauce (with mushrooms) and pour it over. Awesome. :cool:

3. john5657

john5657 Senior Refuge Member

If you're going to grill - medium rare +/- to taste.

Last few geese we did we pot roasted. Slow cooker all day on low. 4 cups water and 1 package of lipton onion soup, add couple onions. Add spuds and carrots a couple hours before dinner time. We get a couple good meals out of one goose.

Never understood the predilection for wrapping game in bacon.

4. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

I like to marinade mine in Lupo Speidie's original endicott dressing. I cut the goose breast into 2" cubes and marinate overnite. I skewer the breast meat onto skewers, I do an onion skewer or 2 a mushroom skewer or 2 a pineapple skewer or 2. Since they all cook at a different rate on the Big green egg. I do the meat first for about 8 min a side at 375 until med rare. I let them rest while i do the veggies. Serve over a bed of brown rice. Speidies is really good. I buy the original and the lemon garlic.

5. flypaper

flypaper Elite Refuge Member

1/3 cup ketchup, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Mix together, slice goose breasts in half long-ways (you'll get 2 - 1/2" thick pieces from each breast half), cut each of these pieces into thirds, marinate in above mixture overnight, cook on a hot grill for a total of 8 minutes turning every 2 minutes. Pink and tasty!

6. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

Cut breast into about 4 pcs as evenly as possible. Season well with Montreal steak seasoning and let sit for at least an hour or up to overnight. Grill for 2-3 mins on each side until med rare.

Or cut into 1" chunks and season well with Montreal steak seasoning. Brown in Dutch oven in small batches. Return meat to pot and add 2 beers along with a large handful of long cook barley. Heat on low for about 2 hrs. Add 1 lb saut?ed mushrooms and a couple lbs of potatoes cut into 1" pcs. Cook another hour or until potatoes are done.

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I know this sounds too simple, but I have brought samples to my coffee hut, and passed out to customers. They love it, and most say they don't like goose.

Trim the breast of all silver skin. Put on a cutting board, cover with a plastic bag, and pound to 1/3 the original thickness. Just short of it falling apart.

Get the pan hot, smoking hot. Dredge the breast in flour, and you can add any seasonings, (but it really won't matter)

Flash fry, just enough to brown each side. You want the middle to still be Med Rare, at worst. Rare is better. Again, the HOT pan is the key.

Here is where it gets different. Set the breasts aside to cool. After cool, cut in 3/4" strips, across the grain. Now, put in a plastic baggie, and add 1/2-1 cup of something with vinegar in it. I happen to use a mild green salsa, but there are other options. I started using IL Primo Giardiniera Marinated Pepper Mix Mild until I couldn't find it any more. Mix it up in the bag until everything is covered.

Now, put it in the fridge, and let it sit overnight. The 'hotness' of the salsa will mellow, almost disappear. Just a little background taste. The vinegar will tenderize the meat, and it will fall apart like prime rib.

I make this for blind snacks, and have handed baggies to ranchers and wardens I meet. They can't believe it is goose. You can also cut it into chunks, warm it up, and serve over rice or noodles.