Coot its whats for dinner

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by USranger, Nov 11, 2008.

1. USranger

USranger Refuge Member

Alright I know someone on this site has made a whole mess of coots for dinner one time but I want to know do they taste as nasty as they look? Just in case the economy really bottoms out I know I can always limit out on coots.

2. FloridaFowler

FloridaFowler Senior Refuge Member

I was curious, too. Couldn't make it through the cleaning. Smelled AWFUL. I have friends....er....acquaintances ;) that have fried it and said it was fine....good luck with that.

3. USranger

USranger Refuge Member

Hopefully it never comes down to surviving off of coots.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Coot are simple to clean. Grab the wings and head/neck in one hand, feet hanging down, toes toward you. Place the feet on the ground, like it is standing up, feet flat. Step on the feet. Pull up on wings. The breast area stays attached to the wings, everything else stays on the ground. Done.

Unless they are shot off a sewage pond, coot are one of the best eating birds we can take.

5. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

Easy to clean and taste like duck except way more tender. I'll be shooting way more of them in the coming seasons. Clean them right after the hunt though. Don't let them sit around or the guts do start to flavor the meat.

[​IMG]

6. USranger

USranger Refuge Member

Your the first person that I have talked to that eats/likes to eat coot. I figured they would taste like rotten fish.

7. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

And that makes you mad?

Why would they taste fishy? They are pure vegetarians. Even the venerated green-headed rat eats snails, fish and bugs from time to time.

8. N.S.F.D

N.S.F.D Senior Refuge Member

my dad tells me he used to eat them, but he is a mexican.........:confused: wait that means im a mexican too.

9. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

They taste better than most ducks.. Fillet the breasts off as soon as you get home. Treat as any duck. Come by the WA forum and ask Hunter for his coot chili recipe..:tu:tu

10. labzilla

labzilla Elite Refuge Member

:l Everything tastes good in a tamale! :tu