Coot its whats for dinner

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by USranger, Nov 11, 2008.

1. EuroWig

EuroWig Elite Refuge Member

Yes they are in the rail faimly

2. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

And rails aren't ducks.;)

3. EuroWig

EuroWig Elite Refuge Member

correct

4. hattrick1974

hattrick1974 Senior Refuge Member

well whats the lates and greatest coot recipes?

5. ValleyFlak

ValleyFlak Elite Refuge Member

I did this recipe on coots (and a lot of ducks) over 10 years ago and it all came out good. I Don't know the name of that oily asian hot red chili sauce with seeds in it, but we always seem to have little round containers of that stuff in the fridge after getting take out. Anyway that stuff.:doh I remember asian noodles that are shaped like long, flat narrow rectangles, like in beef chow fun noodles. Anyway those noodles.:doh

Coot breasts

Bok Choy, Onions, garlic, corn starch

Chinese Coot Chow Fun? (honestly I don't know what to call it!):

Flash fry coot breasts on pre-heated hot skillet with cooking oil to medium rare. Remove cooked breasts and place in bowl off to the side.

In another pan chop up some bok choy and stir fry them a bit then move them off to the side or remove them from pan. In same pan place two crushed garlic cloves (or as many as you want) and chopped onions in small area of heated oil, cook that up a little then move it to the side of the pan and shift pan on burner so onions garlic not getting heat. Turn up the heat and pour a few tea spoons of soy sauce in same pan and heat just before you think it's about to smoke, then quickly mix in the onions, garlic, bok choy and toss in pre boiled chinese noodles (that were sitting on stand-by...surprise! noodles out of nowhere-sorry) mix it all up. Then I sprinkle powdered cornstarch and a few teaspoons of water onto the noodles to thicken the juices.

Now cut coot breasts long ways into finger sized strips(small fingers!)
    At this point look and see if breasts are too under cooked for your preference, now is the time to throw them back on a hot pan for 20 to 40 seconds or so). Then throw cooked breast meat in with noodles/bok choy mix and add the oily chinese red hot sauce. I add just a small amount of the red hot sauce then let people add more if they want to. I also sprinkle a little olive oil (do the chinese use peanut oil?) and mixed that in as well.

Once on my plate I add a lot more of that red chili sauce and some more soy sauce. Pretty good stuff.

****Correction: I remember that the noodles were ok, but omit the noodles and serve this dish with side of steamed white rice. I liked that better.

6. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Throw some grated fresh ginger in wit the garlic..:tu

7. BuffleheadKing2

BuffleheadKing2 Elite Refuge Member

My kids always ask if I shot any coots!!! I take a thick pancake batter and coat the breast meat, then deep fry it. the kids love it like thay but go crazy when dipped into cocktail sause! I think its great to give it a try. lol all the guys I hunt with like it... they just didnt know till now it was coot!!! :dv

8. ValleyFlak

Ginger sounds really good. I always overlook buying ginger when I'm cooking, but I always enjoy it at restaurants. I'm buying some ginger and I am going hunting this weekend. It's been slow, so this duck hunt just might turn into a coot slaying.:l

9. ValleyFlak

Would've never thought of this combo, but I like cocktail sauce enough to give it a try. Thanks for posting it up! I'm hunting tomorrow.

Right now there are coots that are unaware that they have less than 24 hours to live!:yes

10. hattrick1974

hattrick1974 Senior Refuge Member

Well my first coots were a success. Who knew coots were GOOD! Guess them ugly feet scared me. All I did was marinade them whole breast on bone in lawyer's steak and chop 30minchop marinade over night. Then grill them. The med rare was the ticket. The more done the more like bad livers they taste. As u can tell I let a few go to long. But next trip out I will limit out that's for sure!. Coots are on the menu now.