Coot its whats for dinner

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by USranger, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Been telling people for 45 years. Nobody believes me.

2. Jimbob

Jimbob Elite Refuge Member

X2...amazing, isn't it?

3. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

People been laughing at me for years about it.

4. MuddyWaterWarlock

MuddyWaterWarlock Refuge Member

We kill about fifty a season primarily for the gizzards. Oh the looks we get!

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Do you try the breast meat? I am with you in the gizzards, but .......

6. MuddyWaterWarlock

MuddyWaterWarlock Refuge Member

Ya we eat the breast meat too. It's just that we like the gizzards better. To me the breast is a lot like other ducks but I Don't love duck meat. I mean I eat it and can make it pretty good but it is still not a homemade cheeseburger! I like making cream cheese jalepeno poppers, fajitas, k-bobs, etc. out of waterfowl but coot gizzards are a pretty good treat! Now I know a lot of people that get all giddy about waterfowl but it just is not my favorite food, Now lets talk about Wild Turkey Breast, filleted, butterflied, marinated, seasoned, wrapped in bacon and grilled or smoked! Yummy!

7. Nelliboy2

Nelliboy2 Elite Refuge Member

I caught on to the whole water chicken thing last year, we had a flock came in and 2 of us opened up and had 28, 2 short! cleaned them up against my farthers permission. wraped with baccon and BBQ and then here comes my dad lol, let me try one(didn't tell him what it was) he said they were great, must have been teal lmao. then i told him and he had this wired look on his face. but, he hasn't let any swim through the spread anymore!

8. Refugee

Refugee Senior Refuge Member

Biggest problem with them is that they have tiny breasts. The legs are big but the drumsticks have the needle like ligaments like turkey and pheasant. The thighs are good but if you don't gut right away, the guts do sour the thigh meat quickly, especially if there is a wound there.

I rarely shoot them any more mostly because not enough meat to justify the shell/kill. If I was hungry though, I would probably target whatever was easiest and most plentiful and they would definitely make the cut.

9. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Coots on the coast, or minno ponds = awful
    Corn, or rice fed coot = Guuuud

treat the breast meat like mallards, or cook in gumbo.

I grew up eating coot gizzard dirty rice.
    Quarter the gizzards and rinse cold water.

Add gizzards to a pot of salted water add several black peppercorns, and bay leafs and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. remove gizzards from broth, and set aside. reserve broth and strain. return pan to heat, sweat Green pepper, onion and celery in butter until lightly browned. add stock to pot and bring to a boil, then add rice and a lot of sliced green onion. Cover, and simmer until rice is cooked. let stand 10-20 minutes uncovered after cooking rice. while rice is cooking, run gizzards through med plate on grinder, then saute ground gizzards in butter. then add gizzrds to rice, season with hot sauce and black pepper to taste......maybe a couple of shake of old bay seasoning.

I could eat that stuff everyday:yes

10. WOODIE13

WOODIE13 Elite Refuge Member

Cooked up some coots that my nephew took last year during youth season. Just unthawed them, cut them lengthwise in 1/2" strips, covered with water, added 2 teaspoons of AC vinegar and let soak for 30 minutes. Did them up with some rendered bacon, onions, garlic, green peppers, pine apple, soy, terryaki, oyster sauce and a little sugar, side dishes of some home grown green beans, maters and some ramen noodles with minced clams and cheese. First time I ever cooked coot, but it was great, the grandsons attacked it.

[​IMG]