Cop Shoots Mother and Child

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by joe117, Apr 1, 2008.

1. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

That kind of shocked me as well. When I pushed him on it, he said "look, most if not all of our shots are/will be within 100 yards - and only taken in pretty darn open situations". Again, not verbatim, but his explanation did make some sense to me.

2. KENNEDY63

That makes sense. Sounds like you agree with me, then, that a woman who is being threatened by an ex should probably have any waiting period waived in the interest of self preservation. I still think that any "may issue" (such as we have in many large cities) absolutely trample our Second Amendment rights.

I see most of you responders are from Texas, where CC laws have been fairly "liberal" for quite some time. Remember, I live in a nanny state where your sister orgs for police officers and sheriffs routinely stand in the way of such liberalized laws.

I think you guys need to hold classes for your northern bretheren on how liberalized concealed carry laws have not turned your state into a "shooting gallery". :tu

3. KENNEDY63

Hold on. Officer sees a crime beimng committed. He has an affirmative duty to respond, and if he doesn't, he's going to the pokey?

You sure about that? That sounds a bit excessive.

4. rahma

rahma Senior Refuge Member

I think it ought to be a law to own a gun if your criminal history is clear.:tu :tu

5. KENNEDY63

We have such a law. My guess is that there is an exemption for LEO's. I'm also guessing (no, I'm not going to do an exhaustive search) that most states allow off duty LEO's to carry at times and on premises where others can't.

I'm also guessing you're a LEO.

Nice attitude. When you holding that English class?

Settle down big fella. Maybe the Texicans on here can run you through their human relations seminars. Based upon their posts here, they seem to have a pretty good handle on it. ;)

6. Flyby

Flyby Elite Refuge Member

We do too

There is.

Yep, all premises except some federal property and airplanes.

[/QUOTE]I'm also guessing you're a LEO. [/QUOTE]

He used to be, but he got fired after Joe filed an unsubstantiated excessive force suit against him. He was cleared, but he got fired when the civil suit went to trial two years later and the jury believed the whole IA investigation was drawn out to long in a corruption riddled police cover up.:dv :grvn :D

7. clindsayrun

clindsayrun Refuge Member

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Wow, see what happens when I have to go to work. I miss all the fun.

Joe,
    In regards to the Police keeping the woman who was shot, and her lawyer, advised as to the progress of the investigation. NO, it does not happen, typically. Lawyers have their own investigators, and if they want information, they can go looking for it themselves.

When the investigation is over, they turn over the file and findings to the DA's office (assuming no conflict like the other case) and the DA decides what to do. The DA's office decides what to share with the woman, and her lawyer. The Department is out of the loop from then on.

Lets say the investigation pointed to the woman as the aggressor here, that she was gunning her car at the cop, and he drew to protect himself. (Let's just say, not saying this is what happened). The cops can't just go out and arrest her, they would have to submit for a warrant. There are some exceptions, but generally, once the initial event is over, the officers have to submit for a warrant to arrest. The DA's office would make that decision, and a judge would have to sign off on it.

Now, as to the sniper thing, saying he didn't know what he was shooting. One of two things happened. The sniper simply didn't want to share (most likely- cops don't usually like talking shop to non-cops) or that conversation didn't happen. One last possibility, I guess, is that the 'sniper' was on such a podunk department that he was 'assigned' the duty, but in name only. He wasn't really a sniper.

Our snipers shoot 1000's of rounds per month. They qualify quarterly (as do all armed officers- annually for shotgun). That is just to meet Dept standards. To meet SWAT Supervisor standards, (the man who does the evaluations on his men) he is under the gun every training day (which is twice a month). I guarantee he not only knows what type of bullet he shoots, he know the bullet makeup, grains of powder, ft/lbs of energy, bullet drop every 25 yards out to his maximum range, and bullet drift in any given cross-wind situation. In fact, most of our snipers know that before they ever become snipers. It would usually come up on the Oral Board for the position. Most Departments don't teach people how to be a sniper. They take guys who already know enough about guns to be a sniper, and make them better snipers.

9. muddy

muddy Elite Refuge Member

Sure, can be charged criminally and court marshalled internally. Double Standards...

10. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

the DA decides what to do. The DA's office decides what to share with the woman, and her lawyer. The Department is out of the loop from then on.

Does the DA give the same information to both sides?