Cop Shoots Mother and Child

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by joe117, Apr 1, 2008.

1. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

What makes you think I expect any information about upcoming military operations?
    Why would you even say that?

And I haven't heard of anyone at all claiming they have a right to information about upcoming military operations.
    Perhaps you could come up with an example?

And what makes you think I have a 105CTi?

2. Flyby

Flyby Elite Refuge Member

Reading Comprehension Joe. What right does the public have to the information on the investigation? None. Which is the same right to information the public has to upcoming military operations.

Be sure brain is engaged before posting. :grvn

3. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

:clap :clap :l :l :clap :clap

4. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

Reading Comprehension Joe. What right does the public have to the information on the investigation?

Ok, We have no right to any information as long as the investigation is still in progress.

Does the public have any right to the information from the investigation after it is completed?

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Why are you asking? You already know they do. Don't you watch the news? Police reports and results of investigations are released all the time. Again, this is a decision made by the DA's office. NOT the police department.

Information is withheld as a matter of POLICY. That policy is reviewed by lawyers, typically from the DA's office. When Departments finish investigations, the DA's office gets the information. They review it, and decide what to release.

They don't review all reports. Most reports are released, per policy, after a certain amount of time (set by lawyers) and with certain information withheld, for legal reasons. For example, juvenile abuse victims names are withheld as a matter of course. Social Security Numbers are withheld. Other information of that type might be withheld, as set by policy. Traffic accident reports, not resulting in death, are usually available within 48 hours. It takes that long to get them logged and filed. Same for MOST arrest reports. These are reports that are simply a statement of facts.

Investigative reports are more in-depth, and will typically contain personal information, available only to law enforcement. Those reports must be reviewed, and that personal information removed before it can be released.

Many of your requests for information, wanting to know what happened, are governed by rules set by Courts and Lawyers. You blame Departments for not releasing the information. They are doing what they are told by those other entities.

Oh, and if you are going to compare information that has been released by other Departments, two things are typically responsible for those differences. First, different jurisdictions have different rules, set by different Courts, or different lawyers opinions. Second, Public Information Officers make mistakes. I have been there after I have said something I shouldn't have said to the press. It isn't pretty, getting chewed out by the Sheriff, in his office. As a result, Officers rarely say anything, for fear of saying the wrong thing.