Cork

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by jeff mccourt, Mar 2, 2018.

1. jeff mccourt

jeff mccourt Refuge Member

Is a cork wedge that much better for ducky sounds that the hard black rubber ones. Or does it not matter.
    Jeff

2. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

A many a heated threads covered this,consensus was cork sounded better than the sanoprene (rubber) wedge does.

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Personally, I like cork over the Santoprene wedges.
    I think it makes the call sound a little more natural, could I tell the difference between the two in a blind test, heck no.
    Your just gonna have to try to see which one you like better.:tu

4. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

i prefer cork. i actually like mine to stick out a bit past the tab also. anybody else?

5. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Some models of calls seem to perform better with the cork proud of the tab Ive found to .

6. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Senior Refuge Member

How long is the effective life expectancy of a cork wedge in a typical duck call?

7. jeff mccourt

jeff mccourt Refuge Member

Thats what I'd like to know too. You hear 2 weeks if hunting alot or every start of the season. Whats true???
    Jeff

8. sleeping_dogs

The call I have used the most is about 20 years old and I have never replaced the cork and it still seems to work on ducks. I did buy a couple of new RNT’s calls this year and I must admit that they do sound better than what I’ve been using.

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

It's whatever you find it to be. Some depends on the particular cork in question, some depends on you, some may depend on the call. If you tend to spit a lot and stick calls, you may find it helps to change cork more often than someone who doesn't and is well satisfied with how his call sounds with old cork.

I've not fooled with sanoprene or hybrid composite corks in years or what I believe to have been reconstituted cork in months, but I've preferred the tone of fresh cork to all of those as well as old cork that's lost its elasticity and isn't pushing the reed firmly against the toneboard. I like the brighter or crisper sound of fresh cork and find changing cork a small pleasure. I use my calls daily in season and keep fresh, pre-trimmed corks handy in my shell box for whenever a call starts sounding flat to my ear.

Have been happier with RNT or Echo (which can be had somewhat cheaper) reeds than others I've tried, and they both fit a bit "proud" of the tab on the RNTs I favor and would be a bit shy of my Stanley Deceiver's tab if I seated them all the back in that call's slot.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  10. sleeping_dogs

In the past my main hunting partner was an excellent caller and he did almost all the calling, it worked out well, I was the better shot and we made a pretty good team. But life gets in the way sometimes we don't get to hunt together that much anymore. My current hunting situation requires or allows me to call more often and I'm really enjoying getting back into it. I bought a MVP and a micro hen and I must admit I'm already ready for the season to begin.